Sunday 1 May 2022

The Runner bean Frame 2022


 I sowed my first lot of beans last week and one or two are beginning to germinate already . I had been thinking about putting up the Runner-bean frame for some time , but now I really had to get on with it . 

I pulled out last years bamboo canes and after closer inspection , see picture above , I decided to buy some new canes .

 I,ve had these for about ten years or more and as you can see ,they are really coming to the end of their time  . They become sharply brittle and can split and splinter quite dangerously .

Last year I cut two lots of Hazel poles from my own bushes , one bundle for me and another bundle for my daughter , so I didn't think I had enough of the perfect size branches to cut any more this year . It is hard work lopping  and trimming them up . So I decided to buy some more bamboo canes .

Turns out I can no longer afford to buy bamboo canes  !  

So back to plan a)  which is to cut my own again .

Not many suitable ones on this bush which I had taken from last year . Here you can see about five branches , which are too big ( good for other things though like fence posts ) and all the rest will be ready for next year .

LUCKILY...

I found that we had another Hazel bush in the hedgerow and once again got busy with the loppers . I used big ratchet loppers ,but still, it was very hard work . You know , like when you cut half way through and the loppers get stuck in the branch ....grrrrrr ? !


So there they all are ! Tis done !


Exhausted , aching but happy ...I decided that I would put up the frame tomorrow morning . 

Wrong ! Husband said we had to collect some fire wood from our neighbour who was cutting down some very big trees . . . very grateful for any firewood for next winter, he said "Yes please !"and that we'd come and collect it in the morning !  

Oh ! My poor aching bones !


So it wasn't until this morning that I was in any state to begin the job of putting up the big Runner-bean frame .


Now I really do love the idea of "no-dig"gardening and if you have Bamboo canes  ,then you may well be able to just push them into the earth . Unless you hit a rock , they will generally just slide in . With Hazel rods ,you need to get out the fork and spade and do a proper job of  digging them in . 

So I,m telling you I have been procrastinating about getting on with this job , but I finally gave myself a kick up the backside to get on with it .


No sooner had I started to dig than I had a little friend by my side , which really cheered and gave me encouragement to get on with it .


The earth is so dry , we haven't had any rain for quite some time now , but it wasn't as rock hard as I had expected and the smell of the earth is beautiful !

There was quite a feast to be had and to take away to her nest .


All the Hazel poles dug in, just to choose two to go along the top now .


It started to rain just as I placed the top poles up .

           It's a little bit wonky !

I need to make some adjustments and tie the joints securely , but it is holding together well, even at this point . I'll use what I have left of my old bamboo canes to go all along either side .

Time for lunch !     Finish it off this afternoon .      Feeling pleased with myself ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment