Monday 23 May 2022

A quick look around the garden .


 We were forecast rain . It is supposed to be raining right now , but it isn't . 


I think it will be cooler today . Summer is well on the way now . Nearly the end of May already . I must take down the winter curtains . 

That's the first ever Tree Fern that I bought about twenty years ago . Looking in through the window . 

It was very small then , in a 4" pot .

We moved house a couple of times and I brought it with me .

I always wanted one after seeing the one that Sir David Attenborough has in his garden , outside of his study window . ( as I saw on t.v....no I haven't been round to his house ! )

Who needs curtains when you have a Dicksonia antarctica  looking in through the window ? 

I love it . It's like living in the Rain Forest .

Here it is from outside . It will soon be tall enough that we will be able to see beyond the trunk of it  and across the garden .


While I'm here I might as well show you what my husband did with his strimmer to one of my lovely ornamental grasses  . So upset .  

Acers do best for me when planted on the North facing side of the garden ..however , this lovely red one is Acer "Bloodgood " which I remember carrying home in my arms from the lady selling plants down at the Compton Castle Barge in Truro about 20 years ago. Anyway Acer "Bloodgood" seems to tolerate more direct sunshine than all the others and is doing well here .

Agave salmiana var . ferox the sexiest of all Agaves in my opinion with it's shiny dark green leaves and deadly shark teeth and four inch spike at the tips .....is getting bigger !

The weird tall thing is Pseudopanax crassifolius . It is a very slow growing beast . It hasn't grown at all in about 20 years . Someone said to prune it but if I did that , well there is nothing to prune it down to is there and knowing my luck it would just die . So there it stands , poor thing . Maybe I should buy another one . It might look a bit better then . Like it needs a friend maybe ?

This also has teeth !


I took a closer look . It appears to have a tiny new side branch coming . 

It is going to look even more weird . It's o.k. I like weird !


Behind it and above my head , is the sun shining through my lovely red leaved Hazel bush .


Sweetpeas need picking to encourage more flower buds to come . 


The Agave that I transplanted a couple of weeks ago seems to be o.k still .

We are about to put some more Dahlias in behind it . They are waiting up in the woodshed , but I must finish "operation planting out " up in the vegetable garden first . 

I shouldn't even be walking around the ornamental garden , with so much to be done up there !

It is good to say hello to some of my old friends in the garden though . Look at this lovely Fern . It is as tall as me 5ft 2" . I don't know what type of  fern it is m but it is a native English Fern . Every bit as gorgeous as the New Zealand Tree Ferns .
Over here there are buddlejas  , clematis and roses about to flower very soon ....and weeds ....lots of weeds......


O.k. so I must get back to the vegetable garden and finish off up there .
 Today I'm planting out my Sweetcorn .



See you later ! x

4 comments:

  1. You are just showing off, sweetpeas to pick, they are my favourite flower but I can't get them to grow in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol ! 🤣 Try sowing them end of November .

      Delete
  2. You do have exotic taste. I do love ferns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I especially love them as they push up their crosiers in the Spring 🌿

      Delete