Saturday 7 May 2022

Flora Day 2022

 

So the day before, everyone is out decorating their front doors and windows and making Helston Town look beautiful .


There is such a happy buzz in the air . Flora Day has been cancelled for the last two years due to covid .


My daughter rang asking me if I could help with decorating her front door and did I have any flowers and greenery .

So I pulled out my church flower arranging things and got straight to it .

I cut a couple of palm leaves and removed the nasty spines from it's base , then lashed some pretty pittosporum sprigs to them .

This would form a good solid base for my daughter and her friend to then attach flowers of their choosing .


I made up two of these one for either side of the door .

I did give the pittosporum a good long drink , but in any case , it is a good long lasting thing to use in flower arrangements . This will only be for one day anyway ! 

The council will be collecting up all the greenery decorations the morning after Flora Day .


I gathered a few flowers from my garden to add to the ones Juliette and Rosie were going foraging for .


Gave them a good long soak . The Bluebells are not English Bluebells from the wild hedgerow ,but those big gaudy Spanish ones  that I have growing in my garden . If you look you can see just one English Bluebell to the right hand side under the orange Marigold . It is so delicate and a much darker blue . They also don't last very long in a flower arrangement . 

So then after putting the back seats down in the car , we carefully slid the palm leaves in through the back and over the seats to the front where I sat with them over my right shoulder , with the bucket of flowers between my knees .


 To cut a long story short , this is what the girlies did with them . 

I think they look fabulous . Proper job ! 

So that was yesterday . Today was the big day ! 

So the plan was , that we were going to park up here at my daughter's house then walk down a very short distance , to watch the Children's Dance from a less crowded spot . Our grandson is dancing again this year .  We were going to watch them dance past and then take our leave , so as not to be too long in the crowds . We are still very nervous about covid . 

Anyway apparently they had changed the route that the Children's dance was going and the next place was just too far for my husband who has recently had hip replacement ops and has a poorly knee right now .

So it was decided that we wouldn't go  ...... 


So I went to sit down in the meadow .







                              ........and cried  .

Here's a link to some of the wonderful Helston Town Band and a little of the Children's Dance .

https://youtu.be/i3GQY6_OWoQ

3 comments:

  1. What an interesting tradition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try and add a link to some great footage of the Helston Town Band and a part of the Children's dance for you .

      Delete
  2. I think you have to copy and paste that link ! 🙄But failing that , there are lots of clips of our Flora Day on Youtube . Here's the link again https://youtu.be/i3GQY6_OWoQ

    ReplyDelete