Saturday 14 May 2022

Bows and Arrows and Banana Plants .

 

So next morning , there it is ...still in it's pot .


We were forecast rain , but there was no sign of it . Husband called out to me that we were taking the grandchildren out in half an hour , so to hurry up please  . 

I carried on digging , with the dry earth falling back in as I shovelled it out , but managed to make this fair sized hole . 

"Time to go !"  O.k. I put everything away again  . Quickly washed my hands and jumped into the  car .

He had been talking about this for days now and I had been worrying about it . Yep ! Taking a 10 year old boy  and a 7 year old little girl to Have a Go Archery with The Lizard Peninsula Bowmen .

DANGEROUS DANGEROUS DANGEROUS those words kept going round and around in my head and my PTSD brain didn't even want to think about it and so I deliberately kept myself so busy that I didn't have time to think about it . Oh my goodness ..now I'm thinking about it !

We'll just go and have a look , he said and maybe just our grandson will have a go if he wants . 

He absolutely loved it ! Amanda was our excellent teacher . There is quite a lot to remember , you have to be quite strong and my grandson got two dead centre shots !

 Then she asked if I'd like to have a go and I heard myself say "o.k" Next thing I'm being measured up for a bow and having  my eyesight checked  and being strapped into a leather arm guard and told how to stand ready to shoot !   Me and that word "shoot" don't really go together.....my arms were trembling and next thing I was back with Amanda standing over the line being shown how to load the arrow , pull back and let go .


Pull back , string to nose, arm up hand just under the chin .Close right eye , look through the view finder .



Head up and let go . I'm right handed but my left eye is stronger , so they said I have to have a left handed bow . So my left hand has got to learn the" muscle memory" ..strangely not opening up to let go fast enough ..but Amanda said that the muscle memory would soon come and it would now be about lots of practice and building up strength to shoot further distances . . . . like eventually to the top of the field and beyond !

I got all three arrows into the middle ! Oh ! My Goodness ! So now I'm signed up to do a full course !

I can't believe I just did that ! Feels amazing ! I feel amazing. So happy to have learned a new skill .

Can't stop smiling to myself and my grandson is so happy we did this too ! We both can't stop smiling !

So then we had a very late lunch , took the children to the park then dropped them off home again . Went for a walk over the cliff fields , it began to rain as we returned to the car , which also makes me happy ! I know you're sick of hearing me say this ,but , I want rain to refill my empty water-but .


Had a cup of tea and got straight back to getting the Banana plant into the ground .


I will sweep up the earth from the grass tomorrow .

The Banana Plant , Musa ensete maurellii will look fabulous as it begins to grow again . It is a real beauty I think , with it's red leaves .


Another lovely Sunset over my neighbour's lovely garden .

What a day ....tonight I,ll be dreaming about bows and arrows and banana plants !




2 comments:

  1. I tried archery once. It really is hard work!

    ReplyDelete