Friday 8 July 2022

Fine weather on the way

 

                                

                                                     Sun rising at 5.20 am just now .


                                      Not a cloud in the sky . It's gonna be a scorcher !


                                       So I'm getting everything watered early .


The idea of the well in the middle of the African Keyhole bed , is that you water into the middle and the water seeps deep into the earth and the plants roots go deeper to search for it .

 The earth on top stays dry so the slugs and snails aren't so prolific . They prefer to slither over wet soil and mud .


Open up the greenhouse and the shed before it gets too hot . Check on tomatoes and cucumbers . 
Give all a drink and slosh some water onto the floor to help keep the temperature down .


Water the Runner-beans ( what's left of 'em ! ) the leeks, lettuces and all the seeds that I have sown yesterday . Important to keep them moist while they are germinating  .

Courgettes had a good drink and the Sweetcorn now getting quite tall .

Water the brassica bed , plenty of Sprouts for over Winter and PSB to feed us next Spring and my two parsnips for my Christmas dinner ,I sowed them direct and kept them moist ,they were fresh seeds , so no idea why the rest of them didn't germinate . Parsnips - I will go back to the paper towel method of germinating them next year .

The onions look a mess , need weeding , they are under a sheet of environmesh since it was all I had to deter the rabbits . I think they are almost ready . Can't wait to pull them out and get my lovely Cavolo Nero Kale seedlings in there . I must find some more chicken - wire to go around this bed and over next Autumn I really must improve the earth here .


So that's all my garden chores done for today . I can't go out at all when the sun is so fierce .

Take care in the hot sun everyone . Have a lovely day !  

The Butternut Squashes will be loving it .


1 comment:

  1. I've done my watering too, before the heat starts. I suspect the plants will need an evening watering today too. xx

    ReplyDelete