Tuesday 5 July 2022

The Saga of the Stinging Nettles -part three

 

Well after the beautiful sunrise earlier , I got everything watered in the greenhouse and went and did a lot of boring housework that I wouldn't bore you with  here .

But I did try and sort out our  front porch . I took out all the plants and put them on the front lawn . I gave them all a good watering  and then felt too tired to bring them all in again .


But getting back to the Runnerbeans  . 


At first I am delighted to see lots of flowers coming all along the frame now .


Then I notice this !

At first I thought to myself that it must have been damaged by the torrential showers we have been having overnight . I thought ...it's o.k ..it's just damaged the top ..it will just sprout out from lower down the stem and  it'll be fine ...but no ....


Here is the stem , completely cut off about four inches from the bottom of the stalk  .

Not only the Runner-beans but my beautiful French Beans too ! 

I am so upset ! This is the second year that this has happened to my beans . 

I took some pics of this and checked in with Sean of "Sean's Allotment Garden" ....he's on Youtube and Facebook and has a blog and Instagram too I think .

Anyway he knows his stuff and advised me to wrap some fleece around the bottom of the frame .

I'm still not sure what did it though . Anyway "Thankyou Sean " What on earth does that  ?!!! It hasn't eaten the bean seed below the ground and it hasn't climbed up and eaten the leaves ...there are no snail trails ...the stem has just been cut as if with scissors . I will put the fleece up Sean . Thankyou !

Still feeling fed up , when who should drive in but our friendly Chimney Sweep .

He always does a great job and is so nice and easy to talk to , with the same daft, 8year old , sense of humour as me . He makes me laugh . My husband down in the study later asked me what we found so funny to laugh so much about ...anyway glad to have got that important job done .


 All clean ,safe and ready for whatever next Winter is going to throw at us .


Feeling a little bit better , I pulled on my wellies . Grabbed the loppers and shears and climbed back up into the Nettle Lands again .


Crawled over the wall .

Got my hair caught up in prickly Brambles and spikey Sloe Bush branches .


I cut and I pulled and I lopped for as long as my arms could keep going .


I finally could see the drive down below and decided to stop there as I was now quite near the edge of the wall . Which is about 7-8ft high and I'd forgotten my abseiling ropes . Only kidding !  Actually I'm not afraid of heights but didn't fancy falling off this wall . Maybe I could now rake those bits along the front down and pull them from the drive .

You still reading this ?  Lol ! 


So I then crawled backwards , slid over the wall , down the bank and stood back to admire my work .

I was up there for about an hour and a half .

It doesn't look any different . 

So that's it for today . I,ve just about had it ! 

Feeling very tired and tearful again .

 That's all for now ...bye .


1 comment:

  1. Oh, no - those poor runners. I'd have been very upset too.
    I hope you slept well. xx

    ReplyDelete