Sunday 17 July 2022

Clearing out and reminiscing in the old workshop

 


The task of emptying the old workshop continues and my mission yesterday , was just to take out three huge fossils that I had stowed away in there .


We'd had a brilliant dinosaur hunting trip over on the Isle of Wight . Husband found a large Polacanthus scale/horn spike and I found a handful of small ones . The Polacanthus was a dinosaur that had armoured plate /scales and spikes . We were so lucky to find them , being so rare . I have also found a nice big Iguanodon vertebrae . The Sandown Museum kindly identified them for us . 

I'll show you those precious fossils another time as they are packed away safely in another place indoors for the time being .We are looking out for a nice display cabinet for them .

Sandown Museum ..... just about one of my favourite places on the planet !  Look at it ! Wow !

                                   I'm yearning to do another trip .

This weekend is the big Pride Festival and Parade . Good on you guys ! Hope you all have a great weekend with lots of beautiful sunshine , music and fun !

However  ,  I think we'll come and visit when there are less people and we prefer to go fossil hunting in the winter .


Anyway , back to pulling out these big rocks and oh ! my goodness ! They were so heavy ! 

I am not even sure what these two are ! I just knew that there was "something about 'em " and I had to bring them home , to be cleaned up and identified at a later date . 

We're talking Cretaceous and Early Cretaceous Period .We're talking about BIG !  The seriously big dinosaurs . 

                                         Any ideas what this one might be ?

Look at it ! I can't believe I actually carried these two very heavy rocks , both of them , back up along the beach to the car park !

.......and this one , not so heavy...a small Iguanodon footprint cast that had fallen out of the cliff .  This one is a bit worn away by the sea  . I have got some better ones , but still had to bring this home with me .

 The ones I have brought home are baby Iguanodon footprint casts .  Iguanodigglets ! lol !  

There must be a proper name for Iguanodon babies . I have no idea . Chicks ? I believe in the reptile world it would be a "hatchling" . I guess it would be more correct to call them a "juvenile" . Not sure . Anyone know ?

Here's a really big Iguanodon dinosaur footprint cast . Too big to get in my rucksack !  (and you are not allowed to take the really big ones by the way )

        
                                            Here's me with another one .


There are Iguanodon footprints there too . Reaching out into our deep past and laying my hand onto these big dinosaur casts and footprints , gets me quite emotional .


Reminiscing , doesn't this always happen when you are trying to have a " tidy up and clear out" ? !

Aah ! Here's a nice piece of drift wood that I brought home with me from another beach trip .


I was going to clean it up and do something with it . It is beautiful !



For the time being I am hanging it up in the greenhouse .


 Polacanthus life-sized model in the Sandown Museum .


I just realised that in this picture my husband had put his Polacanthus fossil  just in front . You can just see it in the foreground .

Oh well ...back to clearing the old workshop .   I still have to clear away all the plant tubs and pots too .

Please take care in this heat wave . Look after yourself  x



No comments:

Post a Comment