Tuesday 26 July 2022

Ups and downs in the Vegetable garden - End of July update

 

The vegetable garden is in full flourish right now and I am keeping up with the watering . We have had a small amount of rain and a couple of cooler days for everything to be refreshed .

Purple Sprouting Broccoli , Greyhound Cabbages and Brussel sprouts all looking fine after a good weeding session and pulling off the tatty lower leaves . I chased away a couple of Cabbage White butterflies and quickly recovered with butterfly net . Isn't it amazing how fast they will zoom in when you take the net off ! 


 I have sweetcorn in several places around the vegetable garden , growing in blocks and I am hand pollenating where necessary too . 

                     
                        I can't eat it , unfortunately , but I love , love , love how it looks !





The tomatoes are really doing well in the greenhouse .


They are even trying to escape though the greenhouse window !  


I am struggling to keep this lot watered . It is hard to get in there with the watering can . Reaching in to pick them is a bit of a nightmare too . I had to crawl in and sort of lie down to reach some of the tomatoes that had ripened in the furthest corner .  Doing that was fine . It was crawling out with my bowl of tomatoes and getting back up again that was a bit of a problem .


Halved and into the freezer to make free-flow packs . The blackberries are coming now too . I'm thinking crumbles !


The cucumbers are also scrabbling about everywhere , like out of control ! 


Plenty of cucumbers still to come . Next year I'll have to think of a better way to support them .


Oh ! My goodness ! The Butternut Squash bed is also going crazy ! 


                    Underneath those sprawling leaves , I can see Butternuts a coming ! 

 


The bad news ....


....well not a complete disaster , as I have been picking and freezing some of both , Runners and French beans . Just not as many as I would have liked .

                         As I go along the row I see whole stems wilting .

                                        Leaves withering .

When I look at the bottom of the plants I can see they have been severed as if someone has cut through the stem with a pair of scissors . 

If it was an animal ,then why would an animal do that ? Nothing has been eaten , the leaves of this young French bean plant just lying there on the ground  .

If you click to enlarge this picture , you can see I did sow more bean seeds and other things too and they were coming up . 

The beanpoles I cut from my own Hazel bushes , so from scratch , putting up the bean frame was a lot of work for me . The ground prepared properly , The beans were grown both undercover , then planted out and some sown direct .  I have always grown Runner-beans and never had a problem with them .         They would grow lush and plentiful , some years I had to re-enforce the bean-frame the crop was so heavy .

Runner beans are easy !   I never had to protect them like I'm trying to now .

So now I'm thinking , maybe I'll have one more try next year .

The seedlings are coming up , carrots , beetroots and lettuce and maybe a few more beans. . . . but I am heart-broken about the beans . 

This is the third year that this has happened .

Sorry to end on a low note .....  sigh .....

I'll try and think about all the Butternuts coming  .... yay ! 

Hope you are having a great week .



2 comments:

  1. Your garden looks wonderful! You have such a variety of vegetables. This year's garden for so many folks has been different. My sister has had problems growing beans and that is always their biggest and most favorite crop. I've had trouble getting okra seeds to germinate...after the third try...there are a few plants in the row. Love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Henny Penny , thankyou for popping in ! Apart from the bean situation ,seeing my vegetable garden larder all growing away makes me feel so happy !

      Delete