Saturday 18 June 2022

Planting out my Leek Babies


 So this old Earth Mother got 16 of the leek babies planted out before the rain came .


Using my Mesolithic Leek planting tool .


Easy-peasy , make a nice deep hole and drop leek baby into it . 

Don't backfill . Wait for the rain . The rain will slowly gradually trickle the earth down to the roots .

Actually I did give each one a little drink from the watering can .

There are about 300 more leek babies to be planted out / given away lol !


These will be feeding us over the Winter and into next Spring . As I walk around the vegetable garden in the winter cold , it makes me smile to see them growing so tall and beautiful along with my kale and purple sprouting broccoli , at a time when there is nothing else to eat out there .

I never grow enough onions , I will use at least one onion pretty much every day in my cooking and raw in salads . We love onions ! This year they are a bit disappointing . Slow to get going . 

So Leeks are always reliable for me and I love their mellow flavour . I love Leeks ! 


Having said that , I do grow lettuces ,coriander and dill as best I can in the shed over the Winter .

I like to eat the vegetables fresh and as they come , in season throughout the year . I don't usually freeze that much . However at the beginning of the first Covid lockdown , our daughter did persuade us to buy a small chest freezer , so this year I am trying to grow a whole lot more sprouts ,beans , sweetcorn and tomatoes than I usually do , with a view to freezing them all up .

At the moment we are now picking Cucumbers , which are so much nicer than shop bought ones , if you haven't tried growing cucumbers I strongly recommend having a go . I am growing a delicious variety called Tasty Burpless and these are for growing in the greenhouse ( mine is unheated ) or polytunnel . They are going crazy .  There is hardly space for me in there . 


Cucumber and tomato nightmare !  I need to have a rethink for next year .

 I have to go and close up the greenhouse ...the weather has taken a turn for the worse ! Oh ! My Goodness ! Thunder and lightening very , very frightening !   Got to turn off the computer too !   Byeeee ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment