Tuesday 14 June 2022

Secret Garden- weeding frenzy - part three

 

Another beautiful sunrise this morning over the meadow .

Colin is coming to cut it today . I have opened the gates ready so he can just drive in with the tractor , without having to stop and jump out to open the gates .The weather is looking good for it , over the next couple of days .


I got all of my gardening tools out ready to carry on with the secret garden , stopped to have a cup of tea first and enjoy watching this little family of Blue Tits .


I finally managed to open the gate , but it is in a very fragile state . 


I cut down all of those branches which were rubbing against the summer house window . 


I found this lovely clematis and a rose which I used to have trained up into the tree branches arching over the other gate ( the other gate which has collapsed and is lying on the ground behind the summer house .)


I think it just needs tying in and a good mulch .


I was delighted to find one of my favourite ferns , Athyrium niponicum  var . pictum "Metallicum " was still there , in amongst the weeds .


I really worked hard this morning ,at this point I went in and made a cup of tea and some cheese on toast .

I almost didn't get back to it . I could so easily have fallen asleep on the sofa .


I did get back to it .


It is lovely and cool in here under the tree ferns . Come in and join me !


The ground below the tree ferns is nice ,springy and soft . I have always spread any withered old fern leaves around the base as a mulch to keep the weeds down .

I could easily fall asleep in here !


Look , I found the old bird bath !


....and Dicksonia squarrosa  has survived !  It is another of  my favourites .


The grandchildren are going to love it in here and we will make a new little wildlife pond .


Then I worked away at untangling and removing brambles that were traversing through the tree fern leaves .

I cut off some of the dead tree fern leaves , but careful not to take too many . I think people sometimes strip them back way too much . I think they look splendid with a "skirt " of  crisp brown fronds hanging down below .


I took off more at the front because the old leaves were covering the Dicksonia sqarrosa  to the point of us not being able to see it ! 


Too hot now to finish this today , but I will be back to take off the Ivy that has found it's way up the tree fern trunk and into the crown .


                                       ..isn't it nice in here ? ! 






No comments:

Post a Comment