Sunday 14 May 2023

Sunday in the Garden - Preparing for the Butternuts .


 Another beautiful morning , thankfully cooler than yesterday . My camera still playing up but this little Orange Tip Butterfly held the pose long enough for me to fiddle and adjust the camera lens .


Epiphyllum var "Marilyn Monroe " still looking good in the greenhouse .


I really got stuck in this morning while it was still cool and got the African Keyhole Bed weeded and re-laid the paving slabs . I'll be growing lots of Butternut Squash in there once again .  

The earth is beautiful . This was made with the lasagne method of layering newspaper over the lawn with carboard , grass clippings , seaweed , manure , autumn leaves ,and the worms did all the digging for me . It is no dig and almost no walking on either , as I use those paving slabs as stepping stones .

However .....I had a terrible job removing bindweed which had somehow found it's evil way into the bed and spread it's roots under the paving slabs and along with couch grass and a couple of nasty brambles had grown into the chicken wire around the edge of the bed . This was a horrible job for me to get out ...but I did it ! (Got a thorn in my finger 😢)


I have put the watering hole pot in the middle and made ridges which should help to stop the rain water running away  too quickly .

I just need to tidy up the edges and fix the chicken -wire around it to keep the rabbits out .

I was then told I am not to do any more for today .


So here's the tub of Sweet peas that I sowed at the end of last November .


They do far better for me when I sow them in the Autumn . When they finish I will plant some pretty annuals in there . I think there is a Dahlia tuber in there already . It was protected over the winter with fleece tied around the wigwam . 


                             Under my rotary washing line Allium roseum  .


                                 Also known as Rosy Garlic .

The rest of the day I will put my feet up and do my embroidery !  Hope you are doing something nice today too . I will be thinking of you  x


4 comments:

  1. How lovely to work in a garden and feel the smooth of the ground on your fingers, to breath its smell and maybe to get dirty after your work, but you know that after that, something Wonderful will happen!
    Thank you for sharing always your nice experiences in your beautiful garden, Daisy, and Happy Mother's Day to you!
    Xx Daniela @ ~ My little old world ~ (Dany)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello sweet Dany 💐Thankyou for visiting and yes , there is always hope and something to look forward to in a garden 🐝🌿🌞🦋x

      Delete
  2. The trio of hated weeds bindweed bramble and couch. They are very determined characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will find them and I will win ! 🌿🌞🦋

      Delete