Saturday 20 May 2023

Preparing for Runner Beans and Climbing French Beans

 

I began putting up the Runner bean frame . Hard work digging in my own Hazel poles . They don't just slide in like my old bamboo canes . 


So basically I have made two wigwams of five poles each and one really long one to go along the top .

I am going to use my now very tatty old bamboo canes to fill in along the middle .

The garlic and onions are still in this bed . The garlic is fine , but the rabbits munched my red onions and I'm not sure if they will come back . I am going to leave them in anyway . When I plant my bean seedlings out I will fix up chicken wire all around this bed . 🐰🐇🐇

I think I will fix up the bamboo canes tomorrow .Now that I'm looking at the frame again , I'm wondering if I may have made the pole at the top too high . Are my bamboo canes long enough ? 

O.k it's a job for tomorrow ! 


We are having a few days of extremely hot weather and so I have decided not to plant out my beans, celery , leeks , spring onions,courgettes and butternuts just yet . I'd be afraid that they might wither away in the hot sunshine .
We still have a hose-pipe ban down here in Cornwall ....which I totally respect .But oh such hard work for me carrying heavy watering cans .
Things like the Brussel sprouts can get their roots down deep , but all my salad leaves ,carrots ,beetroots , pak choi and scallions need to be kept moist while they are germinating .
  It will be easier for me to just pot them on and easier for me to water all the young plants up in the shed , just  for a few extra days . Better to bring them on for a little bit longer . The beans are beginning to wind around each other , so tomorrow I will give them each a stick to wind around . Maybe repot some of the beans .

I do already have some Dwarf French beans in the Veg Trug  So much easier to water and tend to the things in the Veg Trug and kinder to my aching back ., but it will do my soul good to see them all growing away healthily out in the vegetable garden .

  The heat exhausts me . I will see what I can do early tomorrow morning before it gets too hot .



                                  The meadow is beautiful right now .


                               

                                         Come and lie down in it with me 🌿


          Listen to the Skylarks overhead , the Cuckoo and the sound of the bee .
 

 
             Now let us each take a dandelion clock and make our wishes !
                                    What will you wish for ?  

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousMay 21, 2023

    My wish is for peace, good health and calm, our world is too manic, your meadow is the perfect place to relax. Marlene, Poppypatchwork

    ReplyDelete