Tuesday 23 August 2022

Time to clear away my Tatty Tomato Plants

 

Today was a strange old day .  I had that feeling , you know , that Winter is just around the corner . There is something in the air . I can feel it in my bones . 

I have been busy today cleaning , doing laundry , polishing copper pots and pans , sorting out kindling for the fire .Making sure we have batteries for the torch and candles both for the cottage and for the greenhouse .  We are still clearing the old workshop , we're getting there now .

The biggest job of the day was clearing out all the tomato plants in the shed up by the greenhouse .

I decided their time was up and waved my magic wand !  ✨🌟⭐


                    Oh ! If only it had been that easy !


I gathered the best of the remaining tomatoes and hung some up in the greenhouse to ripen off .
 Lots in the freezer and I think they are coming to the end now .


I hung some up in the greenhouse , but I think I will be clearing all the tomato plants out of there soon too .


Ugh ! It was such a messy job , tomatoes dropping on the floor , trying not to tread on them and there are so many cobwebs in the shed  !  
When I came in and washed my hands ,the water ran greeny-yellow from all the sticky old tomato leaves .


Now there is more light for the Bush beans / Dwarf French Beans which are beginning to germinate and I have sown another tray of them . 


The beans are just a bit of an experiment really ....but I have also sown lots of seeds for salad leaves which we still like to eat even over Winter . The salad leaves are usually a great success for me growing them this way .


Lettuces , coriander , dill , rocket , pak-choy , spring onions  and a few other bits and bobs .. Just hoping it doesn't get too hot again or they wont germinate . Fingers crossed .


The weather has been very humid , mizzly drizzly  , warm drifting sea mist . 

I am grateful for any rain , especially as now we have a hose-pipe ban  which I totally respect . 

It is heart-breaking to see the local ponds and reservoirs drying up . It is a disaster for the wildlife .

My hose has been wound up and put away .

Hope we can have some proper rain again soon .

Tomorrow I want to do some more tidying of the herb garden .  Herbs love to ramble !

I managed to creep up on this sweet bunnykins this evening and take far too many photos of him !


             For Luna Lapin fans everywhere !





                              Isn't he cute ! 🐰  xxx

4 comments:

  1. Rabbits are rather a pest, I know, but he does look super-cute, I agree.
    Well done for dealing with the tomatoes. I keep looking at mine and putting it off. Some are not ready for clearing yet but some definitely are. Maybe today . . .
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Joy ! 💐 Yes ,mine in the greenhouse are going the same way now . Going to clear them out later on and just keep the sweet peppers to ripen up .I'll put the spent compost to one side and then onto the bed with the Butternuts in after I have harvested them , try and feed the earth back up again , er, end of October I guess .

      Delete
  2. The heat did my tomatoe and cucumber plants,sadly they struggled this year.i am clearing and cleaning the greenhouse ready for tender plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep ! Hello there my lovely 🌞 ! Yes ,I struggled in the heat too and it's been such hard work keeping up with the watering . I think I'm going to take the tomato and cucumber plants in the greenhouse out now and just keep the sweet peppers going for a little bit longer .What tender plants do you grow ? My greenhouse is mainly for Cactus and Epiphyllums .....and over-wintering Pelargoniums ....and a few other weird things ...lol ! Got salad stuff growing in the shed , presently trying bush/dwarf beans in there .Hope you are enjoying the bank holiday weekend !

      Delete