Tuesday 16 August 2022

Evening Walk - Goonhilly

 

Yesterday's evening walk . Goonhilly . We haven't been over there for quite a long time and I love to see the seasons change here .


Needless to say it was very dry .


          It is the time of the Heather flowering .


             And the Honeysuckle .


 The air is filled with the sweet scent of it all .

It usually is quite a boggy place and I am glad to see there are still some pockets of dampness for these wild flowers to survive . There are wild orchids here ...now died back . It would be sad to lose them and the many other species of wild flowers and the wildlife that live in these places .

I am so sad when I see on the news , of fires that have broken out on heathlands, woods and roadside verges . 

I am furious when I read that the firemen discover these fires were started deliberately or by the stupidity of idiots having barbeques during the heatwave . 

Down in amongst these grasses is a very boggy area . It is somewhere between being a bog and other times  a pond . I think there is a spring in there .You can hardly see it today , it is almost dried up . In here are Lizards, newts , frogs and other pondlife .
 We have occasionally seen Adders basking on the pathways here too .
They must all be suffering in this heatwave .

The drought seems to have brought Autumn forward in many ways . 


Blackberry leaves changing colour .
 I'm not gathering the Blackberries from Goonhilly this year ,but leaving them for the birds .


There are lots of these silvery spider's webs in amongst the gorse prickles .


He didn't want to come out . He was having his supper .


Then drove home as the sun was setting . 


We'd had a weather warning for storms coming in over night so I dashed up to the greenhouse to , gather any ripe tomatoes and close up that rickety roof window .

I went to close up the shed window and realised that the glass was about to slip out ..the wood along the bottom of the window going soft and coming apart .
 So I then spent the next half an hour trying to find some waterproof extra sticky tape to do a temporary fix on it .


I found some Gorilla Tape and some scissors and did the best that I could . Goodness that tape is hard to pull off the reel ! My arm is aching now ! I think it should hold ....fingers crossed .


It looks like two windows , but it is actually one long one . 


It was actually dark by the time I finished doing this ..I'm using a flash to take these pics !


Finally came in with my nice little harvest from the vegetable garden . 
 Very happy and now not worrying about the shed window . Looking forward to having some rain .






No comments:

Post a Comment