Sunday 7 August 2022

Nero Di Toscana Kale - planting out .

 

Up with the sunrise again , no idea what time this was( but it was well before you were up 😆) .

My "Easynet Throw Over System " has arrived and it was time to sort out this bed and get my beautiful Nero di Toscano Kale planted out .


So I chucked out all the rubbish .....no ! not rubbish !......I can re-use all that stuff and put it to one side .

Weeded .


Dug .   Yes don't try making me feel guilty about digging. The ground was rock hard and there was no way I was going to be able to plant anything into this without breaking it all up first . 

I also threw down some chicken pellets .


I tidied up that red cabbage . Pulling off the tatty leaves around the bottom of the plant .


                                         There is beauty in them too .


Beautiful colours ! But I clear them away from the ground and snap them away from the lower stem to prevent slugs ,disease and rot from setting in .


One happy red cabbage !

                        Benny the gnome is not happy !

Meanwhile up in the shed , my kale and collard seedlings are growing beautifully and lush in amongst the tomato plants  , but screaming to be planted out ! 


It was wonderful to clear them all out of the shed and make space on the bench for starting off something else ... leaves for winter salads maybe .


Uploaded wrong pic here, but since it's on and I don't feel like faffing about with technology , I will leave it . 

It is however looking across the courgette and sweetcorn bed ( the one with the mysterious hole ) The kale bed is behind it , you can just about see the rubbish /useful stuff lying to one side in the background .

The grass thing you can see is the labyrinth  . Looking very good at the moment !

We are still allowed to use the hose at the moment, but it won't  be for much longer ... seen draped over the stick I generally use to hang my hoodie on .

I never ever water grass . I only sometimes water plants that are drooping in the ornamental garden ....but this is my living larder and I will keep watering until they issue the ban and then will just have to use the heavy watering cans again and try to re-use the bath water etc . I still have a good amount of rain water in the water but by the greenhouse . I keep the bird baths topped up and a small pool under the water-but tap for our local wildlife to drink from .

I took the young kale plants over to their new bed and began to plant . The ground was still too hard .

So I had to give it another good dig and rake over .

It then became too hot to work , I went and had a flop !


I came back to it in the evening as it began to get cool again and more comfortable to work .


I got all the Kale in and a few of the Collards .  I was pleased the hoops and netting system had arrived in good time . My other one has lasted two years now and I am very happy with it .

What I am a bit disappointed with though , is it not having tent pegs with it to fasten it all down with . Oh there were two landscape fabric pegs in a bag, which was a bit weird ,because those would actually tear the net if I had  used those and two would not be enough anyway !

So I have had to order some tent pegs separately .


My other little moan is this . I got wacked across my face when this sprang apart as I was pushing the hoops in . It really stings and it could have been my eye !

So although I am pleased with this "Throw Over System " I would say , be very careful as you set it all up . 


I dashed about doing all this as the sun was going down and the moon came up .


I gave them all a good drink, found rocks and logs to fasten down the butterfly netting .


And that is the end of the Nero Di Toscana Kale planting out story .

This morning I am aching like hell and taking a break from all manner of gardening operations .

Wishing you a peaceful Sunday . x

No comments:

Post a Comment