Monday 29 August 2022

Ricardo's Undercover Autumn Dwarf French Bean Experiment


 On the 21 August my husband decided to try an experiment of growing Dwarf French Beans in the shed over Autumn and he did actually sow them himself  !

He sowed half a tray and they came up very quickly and I then sowed the other half of the tray and added more compost over his ones that didn't have enough compost over them .

           29 August -  all popping up !

They have all germinated and it was time to prick them out and pot them on .


I put them into 3 1/2 " pots .

Multi-purpose compost with some perlite mixed in .


I pricked them out very carefully , even the beans that were just beginning to germinate , because even those , already had quite long roots .

........ I watered them all in and ......put back my husband's little label  🙄 .


I them immediately pricked out and potted up my lettuce seedlings into the now empty module tray that the beans had grown in . 

The Dwarf French Beans will be going into the greenhouse so they can have more warmth and light .

The lettuces prefer to be cold so will be grown on in the shed .

 I pulled down the foil sheet to give them more light .

By the way , there was no romantic sun-rising through the morning mist this morning .Very overcast .

It is warm but cooler thank goodness . 

Not needing a jumper or jacket on though and still wearing my sandals .


This is not a tutorial and I have no idea if growing Dwarf French  Beans over Autumn is  a good idea .

I just wanted to record the experiment here .


So meanwhile , I have also cleared out all the exhausted and fading Tomato plants . leaving just a few Sweet Peppers and a couple of struggling but still producing Cucumber plants .

The last bunch of tomatoes !

I'm not mad about Peppers ....


Peppers are not mad about me ! Husband wants me to pick these just as they are beginning to turn red and then slice them up and get them into the freezer .


One struggling Cucumber with two small fruits on..not sure if they are going to make it ? 



These extra tough black plastic growing pot bags worked well for me and I can keep re-using them .


I am going to let them dry out a bit before I go to lift them out . The spent compost will be spread over the African key-hole bed after I have harvested the Butternut squashes . 


So now I can see all my cactus and succulent friends once more !
I think next year I will move all the cacti up to the other end of the greenhouse so that I can reach to tend to the Tomato plants more easily .

It will be interesting to see how the Dwarf French Beans do in the greenhouse over Autumn / Fall .







 

No comments:

Post a Comment