Wednesday 27 May 2020

'Tis the Early Bird that Catches the Worm


    Good-morning ! This was the beautiful Sunrise over my labyrinth at 5.30 am  .


   The grass in the meadow is surging up so fast now , it will soon be ready to cut .


 I planted out another row of peas that I,d grown in a gutter , a few have already been nibbled over night  grrrrr !

I have pushed in some tall branchy hazel sticks to deter the pigeons . I'll continue to sow more to keep them coming .


 A slug has already eaten one of my beautiful black Tuscany Kale plants , I need to put out more eggshells .


In the potting shed this morning , it was still a bit dark in there at 5.30am . Opened up the window .


 It is going to be another very hot day here . I cant take the hot sun  , so I do as much as I can early .
 It is the best time of the day with the Sun rising and the dawn chorus , nice and cool for me .
I potted up the Tomatoes and Cucumbers into their big pots and fixed up the rigging to give them some support .
  I pricked out and potted on another twenty two Leeks..and I still have another tray of leeks to do .

                                                                   We love Leeks !

The others , that I did back in March , are really coming coming along nicely now and I will plant them out when I have space available . 
 The lettuces are looking lovely and lush . I must sow more to keep them coming !


 Medwyn's Y Draig Goch  -  Red Dragon Tomatoes are romping away and have flowers on already !


 I am also growing  good old Gardeners Delight  , Alicante and two unknown ones  which are seeds  I saved from a delicious supermarket tomato and a Giant Tomato I was given in a salad  ,  also Stupice  a tasty heritage variety given to me by my friend in the village who has a lovely "Edible Garden " ( I haven't  been able to visit it yet due to the Lockdown , cant wait to see it ! )
 I gave away lots of Gardener's Delight Toms and now all the other left over plants will be planted outside where ever I can squeeze them in and take their chance with the weather and possible blight .


                I planted out all my Butternut and Courgette babies into the keyhole bed .
                      I will take and post some better pictures of this later on .


  A wheelbarrow load of Butternut Squash babies ! I hope they do well , as we love to eat them so much and they store so well and can last until March the following year .
  I haven't grown any Pumpkins this year . The bed is totally dedicated to Butternuts Squashes to romp away at the back of the bed and Courgettes , easier to reach , at the front .


                   Well that's all for now , time for brekkers and a nice cuppatea !  :)
                   Hope all is going to plan in your vegetable gardens .

5 comments:

  1. I need to sow our second sowing of peas but I’dvlike some moisture in the ground first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a joyous blog. I love seeing your labyrinth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful collection of veg. For simplicity (and a big crop) of tomatoes I am just growing Allicante this year and lots of patti-pan squashes. They don't keep but I like them so much I'm happy to eat them every day for a month. Ditto runner beans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lucy :) I had been thinking about growing Patty Pans , but couldn't get the seeds this year with all that is going on . I hope to grow them next year . Debbie :) x

      Delete
  4. Hope the garden is coming along. Miss your posts & blog. May peace surround you.

    ReplyDelete