Friday 22 May 2020

Brassicas planted out



                                      Another beauty in my greenhouse .


Planted out a good selection of brassicas . Purple Sprouting Broccoli , cauliflowers , cabbages and kale . The Brussel sprouts " Evesham special" are not big enough to go out  yet ....and not very many of them germinated  😢
 Anyway , I like to make sure we have plenty of good fresh and healthy green vegetables .
   I have covered them over with hoops and netting from a company called Easy Nets    https://easynets.co.uk/  I found them a bit fiddly to put together and you have to be very careful they don't spring back and poke your eye out , but the good thing about them is you can arrange them into pretty much any shape bed you like .
  My vegetable beds have curved edges as I originally made them to be in the shape of a Celtic Cross , with a cute little palm tree in the middle .
  I didn't think the Phoenix canariensis would grow to that size in my life time !
So I planted out the brassicas and I planted out another lot of beans and now my all my bones are aching !
 So I,m having a day off from the vegetable garden today , to recover .
  My next job is re-potting  cucumbers and tomatoes and fixing up the rigging in the potting shed to support them ....but not today .


 So all I,ve done today is water everything in the  potting shed ....


                         .......and then we took a little walk along the cliffs .


There is a very deep low coming in which is going to make the sea very dangerous over the next few days ...dangerous rip-tides and a sudden surge is forecast .
    They are warning people not to go in the sea , there is no Life Guard service on our local beaches at the moment , with the ongoing Corona Virus Pandemic .
 Please stay safe everyone .
  If you do go down to our beaches , please take all your pic-nic rubbish home with you .               
                            We pride ourselves with our clean beaches !


1 comment:

  1. We use hoops cut from reels of plastic tubing covered with environesh to protect out brassicas from, pigeons, butterflies and whitefly but that does deter slugs although the really dry soil does. I guess it’s one good thing of having no rain for weeks but it doesn’t help when it comes to planting.

    ReplyDelete