Monday 11 May 2020

Happiness in my Greenhouse !



Under the trailing arial roots of Hylocereus undatus which I have yet to see in flower , a beautiful Epiphyllum crenatum is blooming . I bought this one many years ago from Mr Pilbeam  of Connoisseur  Cacti  in Kent .
  Many of my larger cacti have also come from Mr Pilbeam .


                       I pulled aside those arial roots to have a better look .


This one is Epiphyllum ackermannii  . I think they are the ones you most commonly see and are used in crossing to get  new varieties .
  There are so many lovely new varieties out there now and they are becoming more and more popular .


 I had quite forgotten all about  my Epies this year with all that's going on in the world right now . I,ve been so busy sowing my veg seeds, pricking out and potting on . It was a lovely surprise to suddenly be greeted by these beauties one morning .


  I will tidy them all up , after they have finished blooming and sort out cuttings to give to anyone who would like to try growing them .

                                       Epiphyllum var. Marilyn Monroe

 I bought her from a friend on Ebay . Beverley , if you're looking in , my friend , she's doing really well ! As you can see , in her lovely pink pot .
I wish I had asked a few more questions about her at the time .
  She is growing a bit differently to my other Epies . Some Epies like to grow quite  upright and others seem to like to scrabble about  .
   As you can see , she is trailing downwards quite dramatically . I think I will find a nice big hanging basket for her .
 Do you grow this Epiphyllum  var . Marilyn Monroe ? Can anyone tell me more about it ?
  I am really looking forward to seeing her lovely flowers !  Pink of course !



         This one is Epiphyllum var. Purple Delight  , one of my favourites !


                                               More still to come !

1 comment:

  1. The flowers are beautiful. We used to have a large plant like the one on the third photo. I remember that it dropped nectar .

    ReplyDelete