Monday 18 May 2020

French beans planted !

                 
                       Sunday - a warm day with a gentle breeze from the West .


            French-beans have been hardening off  and the weather is perfect and I desperately need to make room in the potting shed for the Tomatoes and  Cucumbers .

Last year I grew a variety called "Ryders Top o' the Pole " . I bought these from  https://www.beansandherbs.co.uk/  .
   They gave us a bumper harvest and so I saved some beans to sow again this year . They certainly are determined to win the race to the top of my wigwam , growing faster  than all the other varieties I sown and if I hadn't planted them out now, would have begun to wind around each  other , which  makes planting out very difficult .


 French-bean Ryder's Top O' the Pole . I surround them with chicken-wire  to keep the bunnykins and pigeons out .


    I,m looking out for things to cover the tops of bamboo canes - small bottles , old gloves , tennis balls to protect eyes .


French - bean "Coco-sophie"  I originally bought this rare old variety from the 1700's from Real Seeds . We had a good harvest of the most tender buttery beans and once again I saved my own seeds to grow again this year .
    I,m also growing French bean St Anthony , bought from Beansandherbs .
I am trying a dwarf french bean called  " Sansoucy " from Mr.Fothergills....I am already very disappointed with them because there are so few seeds in the packet which cost me £3.60 !


 I hung up my daughter's old cd's ! They make excellent birds-scarers and I love the way they throw out little dancing spots of light as the cd's spin in the breeze !


 So the carrot seed failed to germinate and I have temporarily covered with weed membrane fabric weighed down with these little bricks . I will sow another lot as soon as I have finished planting out everything in the potting shed .


  So then I walk up to the potting  shed ......
               
            ..........passing the greenhouse on the way  ......


                          ........and notice something  !


                                                Oh ! My goodness !


                                                Just look at that !


                       Cactus flowers are just so worth the waiting for !


 Then I notice these and especially that pink one !
      That has never flowered for me before ! 
 I  reach in to pull it out , and see that it really could do with a bit  of pampering .


                                I took it outside for a little photo-shoot .
 .

 Isn't she lovely ! It is one that I bought from an Epiphyllum expert Mr Horobin quite a few years ago . On one of the leaves I have written "Epie. Hatherton sunshine from Mr Horobin" . 
     I have another one in the greenhouse which has a label stuck into the pot which says "Epie. Frosty -Rose" and is looking as if the flower bud coming is going to be a red one . That one will almost  certainly be Epie . Hatherton Sunshine !
 I think he must have got them muddled before he sent them out to me .
         

               I am pretty sure that this one is Epiphyllum var Frosty -Rose " .


                                                   I,m delighted !


             I gave it some pampering and put it back in the greenhouse .



                    So much loveliness everywhere I look in the greenhouse  .


                                        All cares and worries melt away .


                                This one has the most heavenly fragrance !


            O.k.  I must get back to the vegetable garden ! Work to be done ! 

3 comments:

  1. No beans ready to go,out here yet but the carrots have germinated. Just hope the defatted slugs keep off them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special day! Loved seeing your place& those cactus blooms! Thanks for the CD idea. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful day. Love the cactus blooms!

    ReplyDelete