Tuesday 5 May 2020

Runner-beans planted


Having hardened off my Runner-bean babies for a few days , in and out of the potting -shed , I decided to plant them out .

 Now then , listen to me , please bear in mind that I am down as far south as you can go in the U.K.  ( The Lizard Cornwall ) and the weather has been lovely and mild, hot even some days .
 It is recommended that elsewhere in the U.K Runner-bean plants should be planted out around the end of May to avoid the chance of frost and the closer up to Scotland , even later still mid June . SO PLEASE WAIT ! and don't say I didn't warn you !

 You are , however safe to sow the beans directly into the veg- garden now and I am going to sow some more a bit later on to give me a later  harvest .


 I might have waited another week , but if you look at this picture , you can see that my Runner-bean plants are just at the stage where in another day or two they would begin winding around each other and be really difficult to untangle .
 To get around this problem , you could give them each a stick to wind around  .


                                          I decided to plant them out .


 I watered them in , carefully one by one , trying not to get any water on the leaves .
 I fixed up a bit of protection from the wind , which usually blows in from the South and West here . It was all looking so good .


 I put up another smaller bean frame for some French beans which are just germinating up in the potting shed .
 I pulled more chicken wire and horrible plastic fencing stuff around the bed to protect from bunnykins and fixed up old cds to startle away the Pheasants .
 No sooner had I finished fixing up the windbreaks , than the wind began blowing from the East and the North ...sigh !
 Then the rain came ! Getting wet doesn't bother me but .....
  Exhausted , knees aching and back pain , all I could do was to lay the wheelbarrow on it's side around the back of the bed to shield the young plants , clear away tools and go in for a cup of tea and a flop .
  And we were in for a very windy night ! 


No comments:

Post a Comment