Thursday 2 May 2024

Dinosaur Hunting in Charmouth

 

I needed a break . We both did ! I needed to run away from it all !  Just for a couple of days to clear my chattering mind and rest my aching back .

                   There's my favourite place over there !


Flop down on the shingle .......cares and worries all melt away .


Watch the sky changing colour ...listening to the waves gently lapping on the shore ....


Day two - fossil hunting ....  wait for the tide to go out .

We walked a very long way up towards the Golden Cap . The cliffs are constantly moving , crumbling and slipping and especially  due to the heavy rain we've had over the last couple of months. 

Lots of people looking to pull fossils out of the mud of a recent cliff fall ,  as you can see in the above picture .   

We have been fossil hunting for many years here .  I  have never seen the cliffs looking so dangerous . We wait for the tide to go right out and keep well away from the bottom of the cliffs we find our fossils along the shore line . 

You can see how far across the beach this cliff fall extends . 

 We didn't find much this time .No dinosaurs this time ,but we are happy with our little treasures .  Little pyrites coated ammonites  . Glint like gold in the sand !

I must be sure to empty all pockets in our clothes before putting them in the washing machine !


Ichthyosaur vertebrae are quite easy to spot  and over the years I have found quite a lot of them .


           πŸŽ‰πŸ’ƒπŸ» One of my best finds was this Plesiosaur vertebra .  πŸ˜ƒ

I found it along the Black Ven side of Charmouth . I had it identified by the Natural History Museum in  London . Very happy me !  

This vertebra I found ...hmmm...closer towards Lyme Regis . πŸ˜ƒ Very pleased to find this nice and not too sea worn vertebra .   Ichthyosaur or Plesiosaur ..not sure ?   


            This bone also needs to be identified .  Anyone know ?  


Anyway , then we came home ..to find the slugs had eaten all my Spring Onions ! 😱

I didn't think they'd like onions....seems they do . 🐌

I think I'll sow some more and plant them up in the veg-trug  .


Home and back to work !  I planted out all my Cavolo Nero Kale . I want lots of it this year and filled a whole bed with it pretty much . 

 So back on my knees , to weed and plant and water and slug pellets and cover . 

A trip over to see the greenhouse builders about the leaking roof , date to be arranged .

They'd better come soon as the tomatoes and cucumbers are almost up to the bench and I need to fix up strings to the rafters next job .

Butternut Squash babies all potted up . Almost ready to plant out in a couple more weeks time .

Courgettes potted up . Also to plant out in a couple of weeks time .

                              Tomatoes almost reaching the bench top .

                      Cucumbers getting their roots down now .

                          Meanwhile in the shed .......


....... Celery and chives coming along nicely . I pricked out and potted on some of the celery .

It amazes me how such teeny tiny celery seeds and oh so difficult to prick out fiddly diddly  celery seedlings eventually make such big plants !

                                                A tray full of seeds  .

    I'm starting off a first lot of Runner-beans "Scarlet Emperor "   I'm mostly sticking with the good old reliable varieties .

I need to sort out my French bean seeds ....the dwarf beans did really well last year .

The Sweetcorn "Rising Sun" is not one I've ever tried before . 

Spinach , and another thing I want plenty of is beetroot .

I harvested our first lot of lettuce this morning . Absolutely delicious ! Must sow more lettuce to keep'em coming .


They had a lot of rain while we were away , but I managed to cut grass .

I cut the labyrinth pathways and sharpened up it's tail . There are Primroses along the path and Aquilegias in the middle .


 I'll post a picture of it when it blooms .


Another job to be done . When I bought this , it was to be a simple little pond with a water lily in it. It was to be beside the water-butt at the side of the woodshed , but then we had to move it away while the new woodshed was being built .....and then during the long time it took for the guy to build the new woodshed we had the drought .

And then while we had that fiercely hot drought , so the wooden slats of the barrel dried out and shrank and so then would not hold water  . In fact those slats shrank so much that it almost fell to pieces when I tried to move it . 

Then we decided that we would use it now as a planter . To cut a long story short ....husband has declared the barrel now to be HIS . 

 SongThrush Update -  


They have fledged and gone !  Apparently only takes about 12-15 days from hatching , both male and female feeding the youngsters .

I wonder if they will use this nest again ?


                                     Happy to be back home in Cornwall .

                                                🌿 🐌🐌🐌🌿









No comments:

Post a Comment