Friday 24 May 2024

🦋Geranium maderense and more boring Greenhouse Operations 🌿


 Hi everyone ! We're back in the shed . Today's the day to pot on my Geranium maderense seedlings .


A birthday gift from my botanically insane  brother who is so much better at growing things than me . Geranium maderense a very exotic and lovely thing . I was so worried that the seeds he gave me might not germinate , but lo and behold ..looks like they've all germinated !


                                        So many ! I can't believe it !


                       All with a goodly little root system too !


I pricked each one out and potted them up , some with two to a pot .

There are some in the seed pan still germinating !

I think it will be a couple of years before they flower ....I'm good at waiting  .


Then I found a bag of French beans and some Runner-bean seeds that had somehow got wet while I was watering things I guess .....so I sowed them straight away . No idea how long they've been sitting in a pool of water for . Hopefully they''ll come up and my daughter might like to grow them in her garden.


                                        Lovely lot of tasty lettuces .


I  found a tomato seedling coming up in with the lettuces . So that too has been potted up , no idea of the variety .
Then over to the greenhouse .......

....... where the tomatoes are going crazy !

They are getting away nicely now and I am winding them gently around the strings .
However the bench on the otherside of the greenhouse is higher than this one and the cucumbers  are scrabbling away all over the place !

They are also doing really well , flowering and even beginning to produce teeny tiny cumbers already .


So I had to take out all the cacti and succulents and squirrel them all away in other parts of the greenhouse . 
Get out the bradawl and hooks  , scissors and string .


Flip one of the shelving unit thingys on it's side .



Tied the string around some heavy rocks , to place on the ground and then feed the string up through the slats and up to the rafters .


   String tied around rock placed on the floor , pull string up through the bench .
                           Wind the cucumber vine around the strings . 


Gently pull the vines up through the bench slats . Yep I broke this one ..but look there is a little cucumber coming along on it already !


                                           Fiddly !


They were going crazy under the greenhouse bench . I'll be better prepared next year !



                         Ooh ! There's another little cucumber ! 🌿 

I'm glad to have got that task done . It's not perfect but the cucumber plants don't mind .

Next job - the herb garden .


Lemon balm , Thyme ,Spearmint, Lemon Verbena , Tea Tree , Peppermint , lovely Rosa gallica mundi ,Sweet Woodruff , grass , Pink Campion , Hart's tongue fern ,Stinging Nettles , brambles , primroses, more Stinging Nettles , Cowslips etc ect .🦋🐝🐝🐸🐞🐝🪲🐝🐝🐝

                  I don't mind it being a little wild .....but just ...not this wild !

 Meanwhile .......


Husband ran over my washing-line with his ride on lawn-mower .....it's o.k ...he says he's fixed it  .


This one's for Sue who was asking how I do my rose cuttings .
I tend to take rose cuttings in the late Autumn , taking off a non flowering shoot . I stick them into any tub with other things , or like I've done here , stuck in a long pot and I really just leave them and forget about them all through the winter . This one is a couple of years old now and I let it flower . I am delighted with this one . We have very humid atmosphere down here and sometime we get the dreaded Black Spot as you can see here .

                                                  I took off those horrible leaves .

I remove black spot ruined leaves from my roses as soon as I notice it .  This will then help put it's energy into the new growth .


   I might even re-pot this now and label it so that I can remember that it's a lovely red rose .



                                        Today's weather cloudy but no rain  . 
                    That's all fer today folks !  Have a great weekend !  🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝





No comments:

Post a Comment