Tuesday 26 March 2024

Lettuces and Leeks

 



So while my husband was whizzing around with the lawnmower ....


.... I went up into the vegetable garden to check on my garlic . 
 I follow several really good Vegetable gardeners on YouTube and one of the best is Cliff and Diane's - Castle Hill Garden .  I highly recommend this YouTube channel ! 
 🌿Oh ! I will talk about some of my other favourites next time 🌿


On yesterday's video , Cliff was saying that the garlic could benefit from a bit of a feed now .  I will have to have a rummage about in the shed to find some ! Also I can take off the grids now and do a bit of a weeding around them . I'm pleased with how they're looking .


Rhubarb is looking good too . I still have to plant out the clump that was coming up under the fence and another lot to give to my next door neighbour .


Primroses are coming up in the labyrinth .


I have been taking lots of photos of them with a view to doing some watercolour painting .


I was enjoying watching this little ant and took several photos of him until I noticed someone else in the picture ! 

 

Uploaded this by mistake . It's my second Monkey Puzzle baby that I planted out recently . I grew it from seed/nut about four or five years ago I think . They are fussy about where they want to grow . The one I planted in the far corner facing West was not happy and didn't make it . The one down in the lower garden facing South East is doing very well . So this one is also facing South East ...maybe more South actually , I am happy about all the rain we've had to get it settled in and get it's roots down .


I moved the cucumbers and tomato plants into the greenhouse for more all around light . I haven't filled the pot/bags with compost yet .   I'm still upset about the rubbish Verve compost and can't afford to buy another lot . I'm thinking that maybe it won't be so bad , as I will eventually be feeding the tomatoes .


Over in the shed , this water pumping sprayer thing has been brilliant , but now , a year on , has begun to splutter and not work properly . Husband needs to look at it . 
Tomato feed at the ready ....thinks to myself ...I need to find the other fertiliser for the garlic .


I got most of the leeks pricked out and potted on  . I don't usually do that . I usually wait until they are bigger . Not sure why I even did that really ...not really necessary . 
 We love leeks and grow lots of them ! I prefer to put my effort into growing leeks rather than onions . Onions don't do very well for me . They used to , but not any more . Having said that I have ordered a small amount of onion sets , Centurion white ones and Red Baron red ones . I wasn't going to as I felt I was falling behind in everything I had to do , but I feel like I'm catching up again now .  I also bought a packet of Spring Onion seeds - North Holland Blood Red . Simply because they look so pretty on the plate ! 


I love it when we have everything we need for a delicious salad . These are my Lettuce seedlings all potted up . Mostly Romaine varieties which we like . Flashy Trout , Jericho , red romaine , Paris Island  I think .  Time to sow more to keep them coming .
 I grow the lettuces in the shed to full size . I water them lovingly , sing to them and watch that no nasty slugs go crawling over them . 🐌🌿🥬🌿


The Tomatoes are Super Sweet 100 f1 and Alicante . I have stopped trying out any other varieties as these always do so reliably well for me growing as I do in the greenhouse .
 I must remember to bring down the Sweet Peppers from my bedroom windowsill and put them into the greenhouse . I might even move them up into their final size pots now . Just thinking about it .


Time to sow some more veg seeds , I need to have a sort through my seed boxes .


Too soon to sow beans , courgettes and butternuts ...but I,m thinking about it and getting their pots ready !
I think I'm going to wait another week or two and sow some flower seeds instead .
 I have ordered some Sweet Corn , Spring Onion and Parsnip seeds .


             So that's all fer now folks ! 
                        I'm off to put my feet up and do another sort of sewing ! x

                                                  🌿☀️🌿    


5 comments:

  1. So many seeds, I've got flowers for my trays in the greenhouse, my veg will go straight in the ground in a couple of weeks. Marlene, Poppypatchwork

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a great idea . It's raining cats and dogs again here now , as you said it would !

      Delete
  2. what a lot is going on at your place! I have planted potatoes at the allotment and some tomato and flower seeds indoors, I have high hopes for all sorts of things but am restraining myself for another couple of weeks as it is so wet here that any small seeds would get washed away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Elderberry-Rob 💐We're having horrible icy haily showers this evening . I wouldn't plant anything out in this ! Nope , I will be doing Potatoes in tubs this year and not too many , as the only reason I'm doing potatoes is to show my granddaughter where potatoes come from and she is going to help me plant them and then the magic of tipping them out and finding them when they're ready . All my salad leaves will be gown inside my shed, the tomatoes , cucumbers and sweet peppers will be in the greenhouse .
      I have started some Cosmos , Zinnias and simple old English Calendulas on the bedroom windowsill propagating tray . I'm just thinking and dreaming about all the other stuff ..beans , butternuts and courgettes ....and sunshine ☀️

      Delete
  3. Our garkic and winter onions are doing well too, We are still harvesting leeks

    ReplyDelete