Wednesday 24 January 2024

🌳🌳My little Woodland - very long update πŸ¦”πŸ¦ŠπŸ¦‰πŸΏ️🦑🌳

 

I only went out to see if my husband wanted a cup of coffee . I had pulled on my wellies but wearing a skirt , not really dressed for doing any gardening .


Storm Isha had brought down a large bough from the Eucalyptus tree  . Fortunately nothing else was damaged . Behind that green seat and actually beyond that green bush the fence was already coming down from the previous storm . 

I'll just climb in and show you .....


......hang on ......


There you go .....oops...a cat just ran past me ...I wonder where that's come from . Everyone round here has dogs !


Climbing back out ..so this is where we recently had some Griselinia bushes cut back . They had  grown way too tall and had become leggy at the bottom.     Cutting them hard back will make them bush out lower down to give the young tree saplings in my mini woodland area and my vegetable garden shelter from the North and the East winds .They are already beginning to bush out again from the bottom . 

I was told to fill in with some more young Griselinia plants . Some of the new plants have really suffered in the bitterly cold recent weather . I hope they'll be o.k. 

I need to fix up some windbreak mesh .

 I have planted lots of young saplings over there and you can hardly see them at the moment .

I still have more to plant out . Nothing makes me feel happier than seeing my young trees beginning to grow away . 


There's a row of Griselinias at the back and the young saplings are dotted about in front . There are so many weeds and they are all growing through weed-membrane and an old carpet ! 

I have so much to do over there , it is almost over whelming me ..... but only almost . 


I climbed back in again with my large garden fork and prized out all the Thistles .


Big ones and little ones , every single one of them and tossed them onto the bonfire heap .


So here we have the next problem  . We need to clear out this area which was the old compost heap ...there is chicken wire buried around the back to get out  . We can't burn it here because there is a fir tree which would almost certainly catch alight and then could spread all along the boundary of other bushes .

  There could also be hedgehogs in there . πŸ¦”πŸ¦”πŸ¦”

So I brought over Rosie (the large pink wheelbarrow ) with a view to wheeling it over to the other burning zone .


I made a couple of fire starters out of some of the dried leaves and Eucalyptus bark that had blown down during the storm .



I'd like to take down the fir tree and plant some lower growing bushes there , which in turn would show off the beautiful Alder Tree which has a lovely shape and the prettiest tiny seed cones and catkins .

The old compost heap will then become , a great South facing place to grow some really exotic things .

I'm going to make a pathway through the mini woodland/forest area  so that I can tend to them while they are small also to trim the newly developing hedge behind them . 

Also I can plant out the other three Ginkgo Bilobas and the young Monkey Puzzle tree . It will really will be great to see them all growing . I'm bursting with excitement for my little woodland ! 🌳🌲🌳

A great shelter and corridor for wildlife , nesting birds etc . 

This will give my neighbours their privacy . We have great neighbours by the way . We will tackle the falling downy fence after all the Winter storms have finished . No worries about that . We need to plant more shrubs in front and behind the fence to help buffet the wind .

I must put some sort of a fence around a young Liquid Amber tree that I planted a couple of years ago , It is quite close to the falling downy fence and I don't want anyone stomping on it .  The Liquid Amber tree will eventually take the place of the magnificent focal point that is our huge Pine tree at the present time .

πŸ¦‰πŸŒ³πŸΏ️🐿️πŸ¦ŠπŸ¦‘πŸ¦‘πŸŒ³πŸ¦‰πŸ¦”πŸ¦ŠπŸ¦ŠπŸ¦‘πŸ¦‘πŸ¦‰

There are plans to take it down or maybe just take the top off it , so our Owls , Ravens , Squirrels and Woodpeckers can still nest there . It also has a Kiftsgate rose and a sweet wild Honeysuckle growing through it at present . πŸ¦‰ I'd love an Owl nesting box to be put up there ! πŸ¦‰

Anyway .....

 So , I want the hedge to be no higher than I can easily reach  .


Oh gawd ! It looks such a mess at the moment !  I will do a bit more tomorrow . Maybe a burning !

The overwhelmed husband called me in for a cup of tea !  

Don't worry ..he'll be in his element making a bonfire tomorrow  🀣lol !


So what else is new ?


The fields around Cornwall are golden with Yellow Daffodils . A beautiful sight to see !


We drove over to Godolphin for a stroll around the Elizabethan Gardens  and a cup of tea in the National Trust Cafe .


We didn't go in the house , but just enjoyed a nice nature walk . 


                                     Said hello to the Robin .



                                                  Then home !

                    You want more ? 

                                              O.k . 


I took the propagator lid off to have a peek inside and .....Oh my heart ! ...we have a new baby ! 

One of my Sweet Peppers Corno di Toro Rosso has germinated ! I am so happy !

And ...come with me into the bathroom ......


             That Orchid has been blooming since August ! 


                                   The flowers last for ages .


Look at the ariel roots on my other Orchid , climbing down the wall . I think it has a flower shoot coming . 


The Air Plant also has a couple of flower spikes coming up  . I can't remember the name of this Air Plant sorry ! I do love them . I love them all ! 

Those are Epiphyllum cuttings at the back  .  Everybody happy ! 


                                            A bit of bedtime reading .


                                        Nighty night . God Bless x



2 comments:

  1. That was such a wonderful adventure! Thank you for sharing! I felt like I was right there with you! Magical! ♥️🐝

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love our ever changing gardens, your is beautiful, so many places for wildlife.

    ReplyDelete