Sunday 7 January 2024

The Secret Fern Garden - January update ๐ŸŒฟ


            Come with me into my secret fern garden and see what I found today !


This was a horrible damp and dark area behind the garage where nothing was going to grow .

 Except ferns ! Ferns are beautiful ! So I planted it up with all manner of shapes and sizes of ferns . Low growing ones ....

..Tall growing ones ..


...like these Tree Ferns Dicksonia antarctica and Dickonia squarrosa .


Native English ferns growing out of the surrounding rocky walls .I need to weed out those Brambles and Ivy can be a bit of a problem , especially if it climbs up the tree fern's trunks it is a job to remove it . I like to leave some of the Ivy as it is a home to little wild creatures , nesting Wrens , Robins and Blackbirds and the Thrush . 

There's a small froggy pond which I made with my little grandson and there's a bird bath in here somewhere too.

It is always sheltered , cool , shady and very damp , even during the Summer .

I have  planted a few other shade loving plants such as Arum Lilies and these Cyclamen which make my heart a flutter with their beautiful leaves .

 More Arums ..I think this is Arum italicum  . 


I  have some Voodoo Lilies that need to be planted in here too .I am just crazy about Arisaemas and want more of them ! 

There are some Monks Hood Aconites somewhere in here too .

I need to get in here and do some weeding ....but hang on a minute .......


                                                       What's that ?

                                            ...... going in for a closer look ......


                  It's Arisarum proboscideum   - The Little Mouse Tail Plant !


Well , I have some weeding to do and a few more sweet Ferns to plant out ...but those Little Mouse Tail flowers have made my day !


                                                                        ๐Ÿญ                
 

3 comments:

  1. Daisy, I love your fern spot, I think you should send a short video in to Gardeners World as they show viewers gardens and in my view that part of the program is the best bit and yours is so worthy of a place. I have never seen a mousetail flower or heard of it - what a lovely surprise to find you have some. I like ferns a lot and your dark spot is perfect for them. Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not heard of the little mouse tail plant, does look lovely, I'm not a fern lover, but you have created a good looking area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ferns. I bet your secret garden is an oasis. We once planted one pink and one white cyclamen and now they are everywhere including the allotment but they are welcome weeds.

    ReplyDelete