Monday 12 September 2022

Growing Dwarf French Beans in the greenhouse over Autumn experiment - update

 

Look at those Dwarf French Beans ! They are really beginning to get away now .


I fixed up some more rigging to support them .


They are only little Dwarf French Beans but they do want to climb a little bit .

I don't seem to have lost anymore to snails thank goodness .


Then I spent a couple of hours pricking out , potting on and watering in spinach , coriander , dill and lettuces . Some to go out into the Veg-Trug , but mostly to grow on here in the shed .

I usually do a lot of thinking while I'm doing this . Usually it is very calming and meditative , but this morning I feel very tired afterwards .


The Butternut Squash leaves are beginning to not completely wither , but slightly open out now revealing some lovely fruit down below . Not ready until end of next month  .

We are having a "warm weather plume " apparently for the next couple of days . Then turning cold for the second half of the week . 

I have my old roll of insulation foil ready to fix up up over the greenhouse rafters . I am also sorting out my candles and greenhouse lantern . I don't think I,ll need to use the lantern yet . Not until February /March hopefully . I also have a pile of old newspapers to throw over all the plants  should it turn icy. 

I don't like fleece in my greenhouse ..it is expensive , it doesn't last and it always disintegrates into dust and I am afraid of breathing it in ...... but that is just my preference . 

The greenhouse is so rickety now , that I think we are in more danger of it collapsing in the gales !

A couple of the windows have slightly slipped glass too . It is only by just a fraction , but it is surprising how much water can come in ! I am trying to figure out how I can fix this . I can't get up on the roof , wondering if I can seal it from the inside somehow ?

O.k. I'm waffling on now , so I'll leave you in peace and go and put my feet up  .

Be gentle on yourself .






2 comments:

  1. Keeping the old greenhouses going is always a bit of a problem. I think they must have made a change to how fleece is made because I can remember when I first bought some it lasted for years but now, as you say it turns to dust after a year or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rob .Yes . I will use it to wrap around my sweetpea wigwam out in the garden over winter though . Almost time to sow sweetpeas again .

      Delete