Saturday 17 September 2022

A lazy Saturday

 


Another lovely sunny day ! Pleased with myself for cutting and trimming up some hazel branches for next years bean poles . My Runner beans were a total disaster this year ,but I won't  give up , I will try again next year .


The sun shining through the greenhouse this morning . 


I am keeping a very close eye on the Dwarf French beans in there . They seem to grow a couple of inches over night .


The thing is , if this works and I get a nice lot of beans , then I will do it again next year and sow even more bean seeds .

I'm wondering if maybe I should just bring the sowing date forward by a week or  two might just make the difference . 

If we have a couple more weeks with some sunny days and not too cold at night , I should have some success  .

       Albulca bracteata...Ornithogolum longibracteatum.....The Pregnant Onion  .

I'm not doing much today , my fingers and my elbow aches after cutting wood yesterday . 

The big ratchet loppers sprung back on my head yesterday . I think I am going to have a bruise between my ear and cheek bone . It really hurt , made me cry and I couldn't open and close my jaw for a while , but it's o.k now .

I need to give the greenhouse windows a bit of a clean !


Oh ! One of the Sweet Peppers is changing colour ! 


Very pleased with these Sweet Peppers from saved seed too !


We also have some Sweet Peppers outside in the Veg Trug with one or two Peppers on . Not so productive as the ones in the greenhouse , they had been a couple of left overs or spares .


 The interesting thing about these "outside " Sweet Peppers is that  where they have flopped over in the wind ,they are putting out fresh and strong new shoots .  Something for me to bear in mind when I grow these next year . If I had pulled them down like this earlier in the year , I might have had much bigger ,  stronger and more productive plants . 

I tried over -wintering Peppers last year not very successfully  . Maybe I'll try again with these . What  do you think ?

          Albuca bracteata ......Ornithogalum longibracteatum .....The Pregnant Onion 

So I pottered about in the greenhouse  for a while , noticing that all the South African things are waking up again . The bulbils that had fallen off my largest Pregnant Onion plant and that I had potted up last year are growing fast  !


Another one has flowers on the way !

.....and this is the big mumma one ....with more babies that are ready to be potted up ...would you like one ?


Veltheimia bracteata from seed I sowed last year looking lovely .


A very weird and rare pelargonium , which my brother Martin gave me ....which looks like a dead stick all year and then comes to life again in the Autumn .


...and has a flower that smells of nail varnish !


Tylecodon wallichii ...also known as  The Pegleg Butterbush  .

This is another South African , South Namibian thing that remains dormant through our Summer months and wakes up in the Autumn . 


So this is the insulation foil stuff that I throw over and along the greenhouse rafters . 


And this is the candle lantern , still tucked away under the bench , but ready to pull out and put into use if a particularly cold night is forecast .

Candles are in a tin indoors at the moment .

Enough pottering about .


I thought I'd try Marie Rayner's " Bundt Pan Roast Chicken " recipe .


Turned out really scrumptious - doodly !

 Marie " Thankyou for this delicious recipe ! "

For this recipe and she has so many more lovely recipes  follow this link -

https://www.theenglishkitchen.co/2021/02/bundt-pan-roast-chicken.html 


Yum yum yum !

Then , off for a lovely walk around Goonhilly .


The sun is still shining . Hope you are having a beautiful weekend and able to find a little time for yourself .

  xxx




No comments:

Post a Comment