Tuesday 22 October 2024

New Greenhouse Roof

 

So , it absolutely poured with rain during the morning and I was worried they would cancel .


But no sooner had they arrived than the sun came out .

Coffee was offered and we left them to get on with it .

I nervously paced about the garden ,trying not to worry about all my Epies , but they told me not to worry .

I worried anyway .

And paced about making lists of things to be done .

These grasses are looking fabulous but I will be cutting them down so that the Dogwoods can become the star of the show now , with their glorious red stems .

After I have tidied up the Dahlias I will lay down a nice thick mulch on top of them and lay these grasses down around them to keep them snug and warm through the Winter and help keep the weeds down .....and maybe the Polecats will come and nest in there .

My daughter and lovely son-in-law bought me a camera to set up and hopefully watch my wild animals friends from a comfortable distance  and I will of course let you know .


I must dig out the cloches for the Agaves . The yellow /green variegated ones are not so hardy as the Agave salmiana  var.ferox . They have grown quite a bit over the summer . I hope the cloche will still cover them .

The Black-eyed Suzie is coming to the end now and I will soon take them out and sow my Sweet-Peas .

I collected some seeds from the Black-Eyed Susan and left them to crisp up on my bedroom windowsill . I thought someone was throwing stones at my window . It gave me such a fright  . 

Nothing to worry about , it was just the seed heads exploding and firing the seeds against the glass . 

Yep  , so  I'll be sowing my Sweet-Peas in the next couple of weeks .

But getting back to the Agaves .....


Agave salmiana var. ferox is usually quite tough....especially if planted slightly at an angle , so any rain can run off easily . Which I didn't do with this one , so I will have to keep my fingers crossed  and will probably place branches over it if we get a weather warning . Also , for the same reason I have laid slabs of flat stones and slates around the base . Any rain just runs away from the roots .

Cotinus coggygria/Smoke Tree - I'll be cutting back very hard this year , as I need to climb in and tackle to brambles and Ivy again .


The Dahlias are fantastic this year , but next year I must remember to push in branches to help support their heavy blooms .


 We needed to widen the route through from the ornamental garden into the vegetable garden and my big strong son-in-law found and pulled out these enormous boulders from the Cornish hedge . They are fabulous .....I'll be pondering about them , but I think I am in love with them , just as they are !

Meanwhile ....


The greenhouse builders were taking off and replacing half of the greenhouse roof  with the badly leaking window .


They were doing a wonderful job up there and I didn't hear the sound of any breaking glass .

So now we are wanting it to rain again ,so we can check that this window is not going to leak !


The rain had been coming in along the hinges at the top . I think they have done a great job , just as they did building our old greenhouse . We will just have to wait and see .

 I am very grateful to them coming to do this before the really bad weather starts .

The sides of the new window has a lip over both sides , which I presume is to stop the rain from blowing through the gap , but it was definitely coming through the top of the window .


So I waved them off and quickly brought back in the big dangerous ones  . Fierce they may be , but really not liking our Cornish Autumnal weather . 

I brought in my roll of insulation foil stuff and fixed it up along the rafters .

Just loosely mind , as we have to watch for any leaks .


I dragged out the lantern . I didn't need to use it at all last winter , but I have the 8 hour candles at the ready just in case .


 I hauled the Yucca elephantipes back in .

Tomorrow I will begin taking all the cacti collection back up to the greenhouse .

Starting with all the plants that have been taking over our little front porch  . 

It will be so nice to have it clear again and make some space for the fire wood . 

 It's now very late and I bid you all  good night  ๐ŸŒ”๐ŸŒŸ✨⭐๐Ÿ’ซ

 


No comments:

Post a Comment