Monday 21 October 2024

They're coming to fix the greenhouse roof tomorrow !

 

It was a lovely warm and sunny morning and after hanging out the washing , I had planned a more leisurely day .....that is until Ricardo announced that the greenhouse builders were returning tomorrow after lunch to fix the leaking roof .

It is 5pm now , I have come in exhausted and I have pretty much spent the best part of the day moving everything from the left hand side of the greenhouse , including sweet Buddha , who is now safely placed indoors .


The plants on the left hand side of the greenhouse are all the more dangerous spiky ones (and heavy !)


Anyway , the sun was shining and quite a warm day after all the rain the last couple of days . Oh, we weren't too badly affected with Storm Ashley .  Lovely to see the blue sky again . A good day to get on with this and I hope it will be a dry day while the men are fixing it tomorrow .

They are going to take off one half of the roof and replace it with another non leaky one .

It has been a lot of water coming in and I have had to keep a deep tray underneath to catch it . The rain also runs down the glass and all along the floor on this side , so it really must be replaced .

It is a brand new greenhouse by the way , in case you are reading about this for the first time .Very expensive and it really should not have been leaking at all . 

Really not very good for my cactus collection .🌡🌡🌡 This greenhouse is in use all year !

The big dangerous spiky ones were so heavy for me that I am leaving them out over night . I hope it won't get too cold for them . Opuntias are fairy tough .




This poor old thing needs tidying up !πŸ•Έ️ I think someone may have moved into the pot at the top of that bamboo cane πŸ•·️


Some of my more rare Epiphyllums were taken down to the cottage ... many plants squeezed into the porch , some taken upstairs . 

Two trays of Geranium maderense ...some to plant out and replace the ones the bunnys have nibbled 🐰 and some to give away .

I made room for some plants in the solar shed . Rearranging everything . 


Out with the cabbages .


Harvested the first wave of lettuces and replaced with fresh lot of seedlings , moving everything along the bench .

                           To make room for all these .

    On top of the veg trug - lovely Agave celsii . Actually have two of these lovely ones .I might put them into the shed as they are a bit tender and snails love them 🐌🐌🐌

                             ..and under the veg trug . 

A big tray of Agaves and the very special Aloe that my brother gave me .


One very , very sharp Agave utahensis . You really don't want to get spiked on this  beast !


Tradescantia pallida /Purple Heart - very beautiful , very tender and very fragile . Falling to bits as I moved it  ! It needs tidying up anyway and will come back even more beautifully after it has been cut back .


Yucca elephantipes which I had not long ago dragged up to the greenhouse from the front porch . Next year I am going to get it into the ground , in a nice sunny place , so that I don't have to drag it around anymore .

( I say this every year ! )


Lovely Agave celsii again ,with the mint and parsley ,spring onions , a couple of Fritillary imperialis one orange and one red starting them off in pots as I have not yet decided where I want them . One Epiphyllum  ..which I  have just now remembered to bring in .

I was told that I can leave all the plants on the right hand side , which are mostly all my Epiphyllums . I am worried about them though .I hope they won't get knocked or damaged during the fixing of the greenhouse roof .

Anyway I have done as I have been told , and cleared the left-hand side . Job for tomorrow - I just need to take down the windbreak mesh over the door , because I think it is fixed up on the roof panel .

It is chockablock in the solar-shed now and it looks so nice now it's been given a coat of paint and the glass made more secure for the winter πŸ’š

I manage to put some of the cabbages back in there , the others are to be planted out very soon .

The lettuces are doing great . I need to sow another lot to keep them coming for as long as I can .

Prepare for Winter  - 

❄️I have already wrapped up the outside garden tap  .❄️

❄️I found my 8 hour candles for my greenhouse lantern and a piece of fleece to throw over things if it gets too cold . I need to get hold of some more and newspaper .When the guys have gone I will be fixing up my insulation roll up onto the greenhouse rafters .❄️


So that's all fer now folks . Hoping the weather holds fair for tomorrow ,while they are fixing the greenhouse roof . 

                                                              🌿☀️🌿






No comments:

Post a Comment