Sunday 13 October 2024

๐Ÿ๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿ‚Making Compost ๐Ÿ‚๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿ


                 Today you find me sweeping leaves . Replenishing the good Earth  .

So Ricardo has been bombing around on his ride on lawn mower and has had orders to please put the grass clippings onto the old Runner-bean bed .

My job -  sweeping up leaves .

Brown and green -  is what makes the most perfect compost .

                                      The leaves smell so good !

I prefer to just spread this straight onto my vegetable beds and let the worms do the digging over Autumn and Winter .

I am no longer adding manure from horses/cows - due to the risk of Aminopyralid poisoning - from a weed killer- which apparently some farmers have been spraying on to their fields -  horses / cows eat the grass and hay and the manure that they then produce , if put on our vegetable beds , causes all plants to become twisted and deformed .  AND   it stays in the ground for years .  

The French Bean bed is next . I have been putting fruit and vegetable peelings , spent compost ,a little wood chippings , grass clippings , sea weed and cardboard ....which needs to be flattened and something put on top to stop it blowing away . It very quickly breaks down when the rain comes .

I quickly sorted that cardboard out , tearing it into shreds and more grass clippings put on top . It's going to rain again later on , so it will soon break down . Looking a bit smarter now I've done that !

Hopefully tomorrow , I will gather more leaves to go on top .


๐ŸŒง️The worms , the toadstools , the wind and the rain , will get to work on it all ๐Ÿ„๐Ÿชฑ⛈️



                                            ๐ŸงกLoving Autumn ! ๐Ÿงก



2 comments:

  1. Is the aminopyralid problem still around? We suffered the effects back in 2008 and I was on Gardeners World, The Politics Show and several radio programmes describing the problem. We also had visits from the weedkiller distributor. I have a section on our website dedicated to the problem https://ossettweather.com/glallotments.co.uk/acmanure.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for this info Sue . I don't know what the situation is with it now , but I'm not taking any chances ! We have never put any weedkiller onto our hay meadow . Our hay is absolutely clean , but is taken away with bales from other places , so there is no way of knowing for someone buying it for their horses .๐Ÿด I need to have a think about labelling ours somehow . At the moment I will not be gathering manure off the lane , nor buying bags of it . I wouldn't risk it . ๐Ÿ๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿ‚

      Delete