Monday 17 January 2022

Labyrinth

 

            The sun is shining once again ! I think it is a gardening day !


To one side of the vegetable garden is the labyrinth I created in 2008 .


People often ask me how I made it ? Well I marked it out with canes , sticks , stones and a bag of flour !



I marked it out and cut the pathways all in one hot afternoon , before my husband came home from work ....because he didn't know ... not any idea in a million years that I was going to do this !

I knew I had to get it done before his car came up the drive or he might not like my idea and put me off .

It was so so hot this day and I got heatstroke and fainted on the grass as I finished it . 

A cup of tea soon revived me and I stood and looked at it . 

Over the years it has changed , matured I suppose you could say . People give me their ideas of what I should do or add to it . 

Here you can see I went with the "why don't you add rocks ? " idea . It was hard work finding and lifting them . So I have only got a few rocks mostly at the main formula points .

                            Very hard work !

I am still not sure about this as , I worry about little people tripping on them .  

"Why don't you plant long swishy ornamental grasses all around it ? "  And I was shown a picture of one where they had done that and it did look fabulous too , but I have ornamental grass elsewhere in the garden and the thing is they spread and in the labyrinth I personally would find that very hard to control .

"Why don't you plant flowers into it ? " Primroses have found their own way into it ...I like them and I did try a few bulbs in the centre , but they all disappeared eventually , a wild geranium also found it's way in there , which is still in there . I like wild flowers . They mustn't be too tall or they will get cut down by the lawnmower when I cut the paths.

It has been fun trying all these different ideas ......it changes a little bit every year .

                  
                     And her mood changes with the seasons .

No comments:

Post a Comment