Monday 10 January 2022

A few surprise flowers in the hedgerow and checking the greenhouse after the stormy weather .


 Oh ! I noticed that my Wallflowers on our Cornish hedge are flowering !  They smell wonderful and good for any bees that might be out foraging .


And as I went to collect the post from my box on the gate , I spotted a Violet ! 


And then , lots of them , in the hedgerow going up the lane !  Sweetly scented Cornish Violets .

No Snowdrops yet ...usually they would be up by now ...but maybe they need a cold snap in the weather and it has been so mild again .  Tomorrow I'll go and take a look in a little secret place where I know  they usually grow .


Then off up to the greenhouse . Everything has been under a thin layer of fleece during the last few stormy days . We haven't had snow , but there has been a lot of hail mixed in with torrential rain . I thought it best to give the plants a bit of extra protection . 

I pulled off the fleece from this South African bulb though , as I could see it is pushing up a flower spike .

                                                       Veltheimia bracteata 

In fact it turns out , there are two flower spikes ! 

                                                        Albuca bracteata 

I noticed another flower spike coming up on this Pregnant Onion ( Albuca bracteata  also known as Ornithogalum bracteatum  .) I must have dropped a bulbil in this pot with a Dasylirion . It seems I also stuck an Aonium cutting in there . I'm going to plant the Dasylirion wheeleri out into a sunny spot in the garden when it gets a bit bigger .


Back in the cottage and on the kitchen windowsill is another type of Albuca .
Albuca spirilis "FrizzleSizzle" . 
 
 

This is how it looked when I first bought it in June 2017 . You can click to enlargen my pictures by the way .  This is when it still had it's Frizzle Sizzle .
Apparently it will lose it's Frizzle Sizzle curls if - 1) It doesn't get enough light . 2) if it is over watered and 3) if it is under watered .
  I did have it in the greenhouse for a while, but it went dormant over the winter and didn't wake up until I brought it indoors and put it on the kitchen windowsill this Spring . So after 4 years dormancy , I was delighted to see lovely green shoots coming up . 
 I have only given it fresh rain water . 
I tried giving it lots of water and I have tried not giving it very much water . I have tried waiting until the compost is dry before watering it and I understand that it doesn't need to be fed .
 It likes to be warm and it's warm in my kitchen .
So it must be that it wants more light and therefore would be better back in the greenhouse , where it can have more overhead light . 
 Basically it is one very tricky plant that would be happier back in it's homeland of South Africa .


 I am hoping it might still flower for me though . Little yellow flowers which smell of buttery vanilla .

                                                   Marlothistella uniondalensis 

Oh ! I nearly forgot , just one more little thing up in the greenhouse , my favourite Marlothistella uniondalensis  has a couple of flowers . I'm hoping there will be a few more buds to come . 
 People like this plant not only for the sweet pink flowers but for the nice caudex that is grows over time . Next time I repot this ,it should be bigger and  I will raise it up a bit to show off it's caudex . 
      That's all for now ! Take care !


 

6 comments:

  1. My snowdrops seem very late too - you could be right about the weather. Normally, the crocuses are also showing more as well.
    I'm sure they will show in their own good time!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy 💐 How are you ? Hope you are well . Yes ! I will check for Crocuses in the morning . My husband strimmed them last year ! 🙄

      Delete
  2. I love violets and have them tucked in around my small garden. My Frizzle plant is very temperamental, I've had in it many places and it does well for a while and then fades, it's in the greenhouse at the moment, maybe I should try it on the kitchen windowsill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Poppy 💐,I am hoping it will at least give me just one little flower . I am going to do a bit more research about it and see where I go from there 😄 xxx

      Delete
  3. It is lovely to see signs of life at this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello , Happy New Year to you 💐. Yes it certainly is ! The weather is much calmer and milder today .You'll see Cornish Daffodils in the shops soon 😃

      Delete