Tuesday 25 January 2022

First Seed Sowing of the Year 2022


 In the shed my hanging baskets of Pelargoniums , pots of young Agave and Aloes , Dahlias and various cuttings have been squirreled away to shelter and go dormant over the Winter months .


I have made a cautious first sowing of  "Pot" Leek seeds .The first wave of three sowings of Leeks . I will be sowing reliable good old Musselburgh " Leek seeds in a couple more weeks . 


I like to have a few Lettuces on the go too and have sown some "Little Gem" ," Romaine" "Rouge Grenobloise" "Forellenschuss " and a couple of Lemon Coriander for our salads . These were really good for me last year so I'm growing them again . I found a packet of Brussels Sprout seeds that needed to be used up so made an early sowing of those too.

As I already said , this is a very early sowing , successful for me last year but it may be way too early for you in your part of the U.K . We are as far South as you can go here and although the Violets, Primroses and Daffodils are beginning to bloom here , I would not recommend you start sowing until you are quite sure the frosts have finished in your area . The seeds I have sown don't need any extra heat .

The Lettuce seeds were sown on the 19th January and I will be watching them like a hawk ....then hopefully pricking them out and potting them on ..and sowing more about every two weeks or so  .

BUT that's it , I won't be sowing any other vegetable seeds for a long while yet .


I'll be sorting through my seed box and reading all the seed packets to see what flowers I can sow .

I have a wheelbarrow full of Primroses that I have divided up , that need to be planted out soon .


The Daffodils are coming out here along the road .Sorry about another blurry photo taken as we were driving home .


Beautiful sky here as the sun went down .

No comments:

Post a Comment