Wednesday 17 April 2024

Veltheimia bracteata - update


 Also known as "The Forest Lily" has really put on a lovely show since about the end of February .

It didn't get too tall this year .

It has begun to develop seed pods .


I think it has been pollenated , maybe , by the tiny spider that lives on my kitchen window .See the cobweb ?




I am taking it up to the greenhouse for it to finish plumping up those precious seedpods and when they have done and become crisp , I will gather the seeds and sow them .


That is a seedling bulb growing along-side the mother plant  . They take a couple of years growing before they begin to bloom .   They die back and I keep them pretty dry through the summer and they seem to wake up again in the Autumn . 
 

        This evening's beautiful sunset . Note - the Swallows  have arrived ! 
               
                        Now listening out for the Cuckoos .

        I am really busy now out in the veg garden , shed and greenhouse  . Tomorrow  I will begin putting my Tomato plants and the cucumbers into their final big pot/bags .
 The compost is rubbish , we had to buy another lot ....more expensive and not much better than the first lot as it turned out . I am going to mix the two crappy composts together and add some perlite . I will be feeding the tomato plants later on . 
                                                  
                  🌱🌱🌱🌱 That's all for now folks ! It's all happening now !  🌱🌱🌱🌱

                                                            ☀️🌦️🌔


No comments:

Post a Comment