Friday 19 April 2024

Thinking about Butternuts !

 

   

                                                                 Sigh .......


                          Been thinking about it all night . Time to get on with it !


I have sown my Butternut seeds . They are on my bedroom windowsill .Just waiting for them to germinate . 

After all the months of rain , the ground is nice and soft and fairly easy to prize out the weeds and clumps of grass right now .

I did try to cover it over with cardboard to keep the weeds down , but the bindweed and nettle roots  just go crazy running their long spaghetti roots under it all . 

So my back is aching just a bit from bending down and scrabbling about in the earth to grab and chase them along as far as I can to get them out . Trying not to break or leave any broken roots behind that will carry on growing . 

When the bonfire heap has dried out , we will burn this lot  . Oh no not the cardboard . I will put that down again until I come to plant out my Butternuts . 



I am growing Butternut Hunter this year . Also found several packets of different Squash varieties , way past their date ,but thought I'd have nothing to lose . If they grow, then I'll squeeze them in hither and thither ....but not in this bed . This is just for the Butternuts .....oh ...and that clump of perennial Egyptian Walking Onions  .



                                                Egyptian Walking  Onions


        I got that done all before 10.30am . Feeling very pleased with myself ! 

                                           🎃🌿🎃🌿🎃🌿

                                      (if a just little bit aching )


2 comments:

  1. Always good to get a big job done, rest your back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou 💐 Just going to sow some courgette seeds today ...then get on with my embroidery 😊🩷x

      Delete