Saturday 20 April 2024

Tomato plants final potting up 🌿☀️

 


We are having a glorious sunny day ...look at that blue sky ! 


                  Pear and Apple blossom ....happy honey bees  πŸπŸπŸ



Camelias , Azaleas ...yellow daisy bush thing (Euryops ? ) Acers all in full leaf . Rabbits hopping about ......everything seems to flower at once in this part of Cornwall . It is such a wonderful time !



There is something stirring in the propagator ...... and those were the past their date Butternut Squash seeds . I have only just sown the fresh packet . They usually take six to ten days to germinate .


These are Butternut Hunter . They usually give us a good harvest around October time and store well over Winter .

I will prick these out either later today or maybe tomorrow . Yes I whip'em out and pot them up into 3" or 4" pots straight away and bring them on for a bit in the shed .


Hastily throw together cauliflower cheese . Very happy to find two small cauliflowers for 20p each at the supermarket .We'll get two meals out of them .

Ooh and they did smell good with golden brown cheese bubbling away in the oven !


Then off up to the greenhouse to water everything .This thing is fantastic for watering seed pans ! 

So I always think of Steve whenever I'm using this pressure sprayer πŸ•Š️

Recommended by Steve of Green Side Up YouTube channel  . Goodness how we miss him . Sadly passed away last year ..or was it the year before ?  He really knew his stuff  and I always checked in with him before sowing or planting anything in my vegetable garden . His wonderful videos are still up and running and well worth taking a look , especially if you are new to vegetable growing . πŸ•Š️

I was very pleased to find that I have already sown my Courgette seeds . They shouldn't take long to come up .


Then I got a first lot of tomatoes into their final pot/bags under the greenhouse bench . 

The bags are only filled to about a third of the way up and as the Tomato plants grow , I unroll the bags and keep refilling with more fresh compost and they put out fresh roots from their stems and make stronger plants . 

I am envious of people who can just plant straight into the ground ....but this works for me .


And now they will grow up through the greenhouse bench and I will tie up strings to wind them around gently as they grow up to the rafters . 


So that's the first lot done . Cucumbers are also romping away now and I will do them the same way .

That's all for now . I am off to uncover the Agaves and Sweet Peas , then to have a flop in the summerhouse  and do a bit o' stitching .....not sure yet ...embroidery ...patchwork ...vintage dolly stuff .

         ☀️    zzzzzzzzzzzzz   πŸπŸπŸπŸ˜ŠπŸŒΏπŸ©·



8 comments:

  1. My tomatoes and cucumbers are a bit behind yours, I too grow in bags, I do like the tip to plant lower and top the soil up, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. πŸ…πŸ…πŸ…They soon catch up and will be romping away .☀️🌿It'll be so good to have our own home grown tomatoes . Salad days are here again ! πŸ˜„πŸŒΏ

      Delete
  2. It's great that spring has at last started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is Andy 🚴🏻‍♂️Hope you're having some of this lovely sunshine too ! ☀️

      Delete
  3. Our tomatoes have just been sown, we grown them in a range of ways but some are planted in the ground at the allotment with fingers crossed that they don't succumb to blight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only grow them in the greenhouse now . Blight just made it a complete waste of my time growing outside .

      Delete
  4. my tomatoes are in the propagator, looking weedy with 2 tiny leaves - am thinking they aren't going to make it! butternut squash will be worthwhile, I love eating it roasted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Put the radio on for them Rob πŸ˜„ They like a bit of Classic FM πŸŽΌπŸŽΆπŸŽ΅πŸŒΏπŸ’š

      Delete