Saturday 29 April 2023

Making space for Tomato Plants - Greenhouse


 Yesterday update - Spent all afternoon and evening in the greenhouse trying to make space for my tomato , cucumber and sweet pepper plants .

As you can see from the slimy trails on the window , the slugs and snails are waking up big time .


I apologise for the dark pictures but the sun was just beginning to go down .


My task was to move all the cacti up to the far end of the greenhouse , so that I can grow the Tomatoes nearer the door so that I can reach to pick them without doing myself an injury from the cacti . Last year I grew them too far up into the corner and I just couldn't reach !



I had to make space under the bench too . The plants will be growing in the same grow pot/bags that I used last year . I found I could squish in more plants than if I'd used rigid plastic pots or tubs . These will be set on long plastic trays to catch water .

The sweet peppers will be on top of the bench fighting for space and light in amongst the tomatoes and cucumbers . It's a tough life , but there you go !  


I will pot these into their final bag/pots today . The pot/bags will only be partially filled with compost and I will top them up as the plants grow . The plants will put out more roots along their stems , thus making stronger plants . I also have to fix up the strings , from floor to the rafters of the greenhouse roof to wind the tomato and cucumber vines around as they grow . 


Oh ..and I also quickly planted out the first wave of Dwarf French Beans into my husband's veg trug for him . A bit early I know . Taking a risk I know . Sometimes this pays off ! Fingers crossed . The spinach , coriander, dill, spring onions and lettuces and a couple of strawberries all doing fine . The Flashy Trout Lettuces have turned bright red in the recent wild gales ....the ones in the shed are bigger and more green with speckled red leaves . We have already had two pickings from these and along with some fresh mint leaves from elsewhere in the garden , we enjoyed delicious salads and sandwiches .

I am going to sow more French Beans and lettuces in the shed today , to keep 'm coming !


                                  Wishing you all a beautiful , beautiful weekend  !  xxx

1 comment:

  1. You have been busy. Ouch having the cactii in the way of tomato picking. Always worth trying early sowings, you can always sow more later if it fails.

    ReplyDelete