Friday 24 May 2019

Thursday 23rd May - Vegetable Garden update

 
 So yesterday , after doing quite a bit of weeding , I thought I,d plant out my Leeks ...


 ...but I looked across the Vegetable garden and noticed that the Brussels sprouts , Purple Sprouting Broccoli and Cauliflowers  needed some urgent attention .
 I cant believe how quickly the Sprouts have grown and are now beginning to get squashed under their environmesh cloche !


  So I had to leave the Leeks for yet another day and come up with something fast for my Sprouts !


Ten green bottles standing on the wall ,
Ten green bottles standing on the wall ,
Slip them over bamboo canes and cover them with fleece .
You'll have lots of lovely Brussels sprouts growing nice and tall !
                                                                                          Daisy Debs ( he he he ! )


                                              So that's what I did ! :)


 It was all going so well , until I realised that my piece of fleece was not big enough !

   Sigh !....so I took it all apart ....The fleece just about covered the Sprouts and Cauliflowers and I used the old cloche to cover the PSB ... I have used some paving blocks to hold the mesh down  and that would have to do for now...I have had enough ...enough , enough, enough !
  I was then whisked away by the Under Gardener to Wyevales Garden Centre in Hayle , where we enjoyed a delicious slice of chocolate cake and a nice cup of tea .

The Under Gardener bought the two pots he had wanted , they are "Buy one ,get one free" at the moment , he also had some vouchers , meanwhile I gathered up lots of packets of Dahlias , onions and Asparagus for 50p each , a pack of French Marigolds and a couple of small Alpine plants for £1.50 each and the nice gentleman at the checkout said I could have the pack of six strawberry plants that I found in their bargain area for free ! Also got some free cardboard for covering over the Veg beds at the end of the season .......very happy me !
    Feeling so much better ..off to Belly-Bolly Dance class this evening , in Ponsanooth , in a great mood !
  Link for the best Belly Dancing classes in Cornwall  - https://bellybolly.co.uk/   .
Back to the veg garden ....

                      Tomorrow I must sort out this wigwam bean frame .
                            Will those Leeks ever get planted out  ?  !!

No comments:

Post a Comment