Monday 25 December 2023

Christmas Day - continued 🎄

 

Drifting squalls of heavy mizzle ,blowing in from the North West .Chasing us as we walk across the cliffs.


                       It started to brighten up and we spotted a Chough .


The mizzle drifting in again and a very cold North wind stinging our noses for the first time this Winter as we turned to walk back .

We haven't done very much today , tired from all the power cut nonsense ! 

Opened a few presents together , happiness ! Thankful  . Enjoyed our Christmas lunch . 

Packets of seeds have been arriving in the post and I sorted out a little red book to make my garden notes in for 2024 . I am starting to get that feeling again .....I want to get started but I have to sort a few things out first ..like the electric windowsill propagator and all the little pots with their lids and the extension wire . These things are all up in the shed at the moment and when we had the new windows put in a few weeks ago , my husband removed the shelf that goes under the windowsill. So need to find that again and .....what else ? .....yes.... compost ...I have some seed compost coming any day now .

Went outside and stood pondering for a while .. I can't wait to get my hands into the good earth again ! 


I've been clearing brambles and nettles up on this North facing bank which faces the front of our cottage . 

I'm still aching from falling up the steps the other day , so I do a little and rest for a bit , then do a bit more and so on . We look out to this part of the garden and in the Winter I like it to be as tidy as I can manage . It's a bit tricky as it is on a slope .

I particularly love the shape of this sweet low and slightly weeping Acer . I like to see it against the bare earth beneath it . I rake out anything that is underneath it and give it a mulch . 

Probably woodchip this year as I have so much of it after the hedgerow was coppiced .

                                My bestie the Robin swoops in to keep me company .

               He enjoyed quite a feast while I raked up the weeds and moss . 

I will do the mulching tomorrow if the weather is not too bad . I believe Wednesday is going to be a bit rough , so it will be good to get that job done . Enough pondering outside in the mizzle ! 

   We had enjoyed a beautiful Christmas Eve Lunch at my daughter's with our very excited grandchildren . It was a splendid meal and when it got dark ,we had sparklers in the garden ! 

 Then as you know ,we came home and had an exciting evening of no electricity ! The power is back on again , although maybe flickering every now and then .

 For me the worst thing was going to bed without my old stone hot-water-bottle to keep my toes warm . I have done myself a hot water bottle early this evening , just in case it goes off again .

 I  will stop now and wish you a peaceful evening . 

                🎄      I hope you had a very nice Christmas . 🌿🤍🌿

2 comments:

  1. I am itching to get outside, but I will wait another week, to allow our slabs settle, then I will counting down the days until it's sowing time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hope your power stays on and you stay toastie :)

    ReplyDelete