Monday 6 February 2023

Dahlias and potting on my seedlings and that Carnivorous Plant !

 

           At last I can bring you a beautiful Cornish sunrise .....


...well , it was actually just before the sunrise . The sky looked so lovely !


                                     Like a contemporary landscape painting .


The clouds soon disappeared and now we are enjoying another gorgeous sunny day .

Now , I want to apologise to all those who thought I was going to do a Dahlia tutorial .

Nope , I,m afraid all my Dahlias tubers are still  fast asleep in their crate covered with dry compost .

I will start them off towards the end of Feb /beginning of March . I do this by giving a very small amount of water and then waiting until I see some shoots . Then I pot them up and , still under cover , I bring them on before planting them out around the middle of May or maybe the end of May depending on how the weather looks . We should be o.k after that . The thing is to try and avoid frost .

I have a few that I leave out in the ground , covered with a mulch , they usually are just fine .

I have some in tubs that I have dragged under cover too , I need to refresh their compost .

But I'm not really worrying about all that just yet .

I'm just dreaming about them and looking at them in the garden centres . So many gorgeous varieties and colours to tempt me !

Anyway .....


It's all happening up on my bedroom windowsill , look !


Marconi Sweet Peppers have all come up , I am so happy ! They were tricky  last year .


The Tomatoes have all germinated easily too . 

                            The Immortality Vine is beginning to look beautiful .


So I took them up to the shed , pricked them out and potted them on into these little modules .


Then back to the bedroom windowsill .




So that's that job done !
Next -
 Potatoes chitting in an egg box on the windowsill , I am growing in containers this year ...
and also I am growing Sweet Potatoes this year as an experiment .
Sorry , the photo didn't come out . I'll show you next time !

Meanwhile , back in the shed I have something to show you .

No I didn't buy any more Dahlias at the garden centre ....but when I saw this sitting all on it's own in the sunshine my heart skipped a beat . I couldn't leave it there . It was coming home with me .

                                       Loropetalum chinese "Ever Red " Chinese Fringe Flower .

It is a beautiful thing that I had never heard of and my photo here doesn't do it justice .


The new leaves come through as the brightest scarlet , especially in the sunshine .

I am just keeping it under cover while I go and do a bit of research on it . 

Maybe put in into a bigger pot with some fresh compost and bring it on for a bit before planting it out .

Love Love Love ! 


Also under cover at the moment is my one remaining Carnivorous Plant .

Looking tatty ,but I soon smartened him up by pulling out all those brown crispy dead leaves .


Now looking much happier .


So that's it for today ....oh except one more thing .....


                                       My Snowdrops are appearing  🤍





4 comments:

  1. Your Chinese fringe flower, I know as Chinese witch hazel, I've had one in a pot for years, they are stunning, it took a couple of years for it to put on much growth, but now it looks good summer or winter, as it does not drop it leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Poppy , Oh that is even better news that it keeps it's leaves ! What a fantastic plant . Thankyou for that , Wow ! I am so pleased with it 💗🤍🌸x

      Delete
  2. You are way in front of us with the seed sowing,That palm looks magnificent as do the sunrises.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love snowdrops, they never grow for me. I am chitting my potatos too, this is the fun part I think, the preparation and watching little shoots grow..

    ReplyDelete