Friday 24 February 2023

Sewing , sowing or snowing ?

 

                             


                        I gathered  a small quantity of pebbles from the beach .


I had already re-potted this precious Haworthia and just needed to smarten it up with a nice mulch.



I did have a better idea for this , but that will have to wait  and this will do for now .


I got the seedlings on my bedroom windowsill re-potted .


Cucumbers , Tomatoes and Sweet Peppers and then didn't have enough space on my windowsill for all the new size pots !
So I have shared them out to several other places .


I am worried about this bit of a cold snap we are forecast , but I have no choice . I took some up to the shed . I can see through the window that the germinating lettuce seedlings are now turning green and they too will need pricking out and potting up very soon . 


           These Tomato seedlings survived last night's 3 degrees  just fine .


          The Cucumbers really did not enjoy being transplanted and the cold night . 


We have a first casualty !  ...but I won't give up on it just yet . It might settle in and revive .

I brought the rest of the Cucumber babies back inside on my windowsill and some in the front porch .


Tonight the temperature is said to be going down a bit more , so I have covered them over with a couple of pillowcases to keep them cosy .


With my garden operations finished ,I lit the fire and settled down at the table to sort out my seeds .


                        Leeks will be next .       A mixture of all of these .
   I'll be sowing these in the new few days up in the shed . It just depends on how cold it gets . I might wait until Monday .


So then I thought I'd make myself a nice cuppa tea , went into the kitchen and thought how lovely the Camelias are in the vase on the windowsill .
   Then , see that plant on the end ? It was a cutting from my mother's  plant and about thirty years old and many, many more years old originally coming from my grandmother's plant .
   In my last old cottage it had become a beautiful huge specimen and looked stunning when it bloomed ...then one day a horrible teenager had a temper tantrum and smashed it .  I tried to root all of the broken pieces , but they all withered and died , except one tiny piece . 
      It is so slow growing . Anyway it looked a bit dry so I gave it a drop of water .
 As I moved away , my shawl got caught on it and it fell off the windowsill . I caught the plant in my hands , but the rest of the pot and the earth tumbled out into my wellington boots down below and all over the kitchen floor . It's o.k. I stayed calm and as you all know by now , those wellies were rubbish , had holes in and I needed a new pair anyway .
  🎼🎵🎶 Always look on the bright side of life ...di dum , di dum di dim di dum 🎶🎵🎶

                                          Rhipsalidopsis gartnerii
Having just watered it , there was also a fair bit o' mud trickling down over my dress and my feet .
This meant I had to get out Henry and hoover up all the mess .
 Followed by other trip up to the shed to re-pot the plant .
I was happy to find the plant label tucked inside it anyway .


I watched my little friends on the bird feeders whilst waiting for the kettle to boil  .
Then returned to sit by the fire , enjoy my cuppa tea and do a bit o' sewing .


How's your seed sowing going ?    Are you sewing , sowing or is it snowing where you are ?

                                                                         🕊️


 



No comments:

Post a Comment