Thursday 16 February 2023

Dahlia dreaming again ..shall I ? shan't I ?

 


I want to start them . 

Don't ! 

But I want to . 

No ! 

But I really , really want to  .

Sigh ...so these are the ones I dug up and over-wintered in the shed . I am itching to pull one up to see if there are any little new shoots .

The weather people are saying that we could have another cold snap . I think I'll give them another week or so .


Then we were at the garden centre and I fell in love with a packet of three different sorts of red ones .


My heart was racing ! Two of them , had delicious little red shoots appearing already . 


                         So they were coming home with me and off up to the shed .


It's all systems go up in the shed .
 I want to pot up the tomato and sweet pepper seedlings that are in 1" modules on my bedroom windowsill , but when I do ,they will need to go into 3 1/2 " pots and I don't have enough space on the bedroom windowsill for that many . I don't want to put them into this shed  just yet . I'll wait for this cold snap to pass . They say it might not even happen down here on the Lizard.....but that it still , just might 🙄

These are the last of the Lettuces and Pak choy that I have grown over winter . We will have those tomorrow and I think I will get to it and sow some more  .


Oh ! That's where the string went ! I need to fix the wind-break mesh on the fence ..oh good I left the needle in it too , that was very thoughtful of me ! 


And then I got my hands into the lovely compost and potted up those three Dahlia tubers . 
It felt so good !  I am so happy !


I didn't have any labels to hand so I decorated the top with some pretty shells from Trefusis Beach over in Flushing . 
Husband has family history over there . His Grandpa and Great Grandpa lived in the converted chapel there and their schooner would be moored up at the coal yard at the end of the road  . It's a vey special place to him..... if very narrow to get through .  Flushing was not built to accommodate motorcars . His Grandpa was one of the first in the village to actually have a car  , he was quite a character I'm told ! 
 I'm waffling ! 
I'll tell you about Grandpa and the schooner another time . It's all very romantic . (Although his Grandpa would definitely not agree ! )
 

So there we go . I have the first of my Dahlia dream babies all potted up .
It's turned warm and foggy here today . Maybe the cold snap won't happen , fingers crossed .



  

2 comments:

  1. We need to remember that it is still winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue 🌿I am hoping to take some of those first shoots for cuttings and now is a good time to do this .The Dahlia cuttings will then go on my bathroom windowsill , the Intensive Care Unit !
      We are as far South as you can be in the U.K. Lizard and it does make a difference by a few degrees .
      It is quite mild and foggy at the moment .I am keeping a close eye on it . I can always throw fleece or newspapers over them if it turns cold .
      Everyone must decide for themselves when to start sowing seeds and starting Dahlias . This might not be a good time for people further up country .🌿🌸 x

      Delete