Thursday 19 January 2023

Monkey Puzzle Rescue


 So I spent a whole afternoon battling the brambles that had grown over and under the branches of my little Monkey Puzzle tree and it really is not looking very happy .

Last year , someone thought they were helping by cutting the brambles down , but in reality what they had done was pruned them and now they were flourishing . 

 I managed to clear this side of the fence , but there is still a lot to do .

To one side there is also a young Trachycarpus which also needed protection .


This was just before the bad weather came in . I pruned back some of the branches from the Bay tree and lay them down to surround both the Trachycarpus and the Monkey Puzzle tree  . We will burn those branches as soon as the wind is in the right direction , but for now they'll make for a good windbreak until I can get out to continue the job of tidying this corner and planting more hedging .

I hope not ,but , if I lose that Monkey Puzzle then I do have the third one still waiting in the wings , to replace it . 

This one has two leading shoots , of which I think I will take off one , so it will make a better shaped tree .


It is also looking a bit battered in all this cold , haily , windy weather .


So I have popped it into the shed , just until all these hail and sleet showers have gone .

It's looking happier already !

Other big news -  I sowed my first seeds of the year today .

 Sweet Peppers " Marconi " 

       They were great last year and I remember saying that I wished I had started them off a little bit earlier . So I did !


I also sowed a few Cucumbers which might really be pushing my luck . I have two generous packets of seeds so I can always sow some more if they fail .

In the pot at the end are some cuttings of Jiaogulan roots also known as "the Immortality Plant " which I bought from the expert Vegetable Gardener  Klaus Laitenberger .

I am so excited and pleased to have acquired these and am getting them started on my bedroom windowsill . It is a herb with many health benefits . 


 I had to use slug pellets because there were slug/snails eggs in the compost . I am very excited to see some tiny shoots pushing up already .

                                             I get very excited about such things ! 

                                                      That's all fer now !  Debbie  x 



3 comments:

  1. Oh Daisy Debs,
    I so love all the works we can do outside in this part of the year, with calm and patience, while waiting for the beautiful season and when the day is going to its end, to come back home and enjoy its warmth, maybe sipping a cup of hot tea!
    God bless
    Xo DanielaOh, I so love all the works we can do outside in this part of the year, with calm and patience, while waiting for the beautiful season and when the day is going to its end, to come back home and enjoy its warmth, maybe sipping a cup of hot tea!
    God bless
    Xo Daniela at ~ My little old world ~ (Dany)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't envy you your battle with the brambles. I've never heard of Jiaoculan roots so I'll be interested to see them hopefully grow, How do you use it.#/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a very long way from harvesting it Sue ! I believe you steep it's leaves in boiling water , rather like making peppermint tea . It is said to have lots of health giving properties , but I need to do a bit more research on this before I try it !

      Delete