Friday 27 January 2023

Tomato Seeds Sown Today !

 

                    Hooray ! My Tomato seeds arrived in great time from Nicky's Nursery .


I had such success last year with these two varieties , grown in my greenhouse and shed , that I thought I'd just stick with them . 

Alicante being a regular sized tomato and Super Sweet 100 F1 being the  little cherry sized ones .


I like how this nursery pack their seeds .  A little paper packet sealed within  foil keeps them fresh and are sent out in a padded envelope , so they are protected . 


I am giving them a very teeny tiny amount of warmth on my Garland Super 7 Electric Windowsill Propagator . I have now put the clear lids over these .

I think the Marconi Sweet Pepper seeds are just beginning to break the surface of the compost . They are in the covered pot at the end of the row . I had a good harvest from this variety last year , but I wished I'd started them off earlier . 

The Cucumbers are already up . I will need to prick them out and pot them up , maybe tomorrow before their roots begin to get tangled up ! These are going into my warm front porch for a while , also some to go into my daughter's much warmer greenhouse .

 Strictly speaking , it is way too early to be sowing Cucumbers . So don't copy me . 

The middle and towards the end of next month will be better for sowing them . I will be sowing another lot for the greenhouse next month .

It depends where you are for getting sowing underway . I,m as far south as you can get in the U.K. ( on the Lizard Peninsula ) Also I can start these tomatoes and sweet peppers early because they will eventually be grown in the greenhouse . 

Growing them in the greenhouse and the shed works for me and we had a never ending supply of tomatoes all through the summer and into early Autumn .

 Even with so called "outdoor " varieties , I have rarely had any success growing tomatoes outside ....but that's just me !   

  


                                                                    

                                                                 🦋

 


3 comments:

  1. I am itching to start, but I will wait

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep , very wise ...It depends where you are .I,m as far south as you can get in the U.K. ( on the Lizard Peninsula ) Also I can start these tomatoes and sweet peppers early because they will eventually be grown in the greenhouse .

      Delete
  2. Update - 🌱🌱🌱🌱🌱We have germination ! Sweet Peppers and Tomatoes . Very happy me ! 🌱🌱🌱🌱🌱🌱

    ReplyDelete