Tuesday 15 November 2022

PSB


 O.K so there was a good break in the weather this morning and I took advantage of it and tidied up the PSB .

Look at all those weeds and grass !


"What's PSB ?" I hear some of you ask . It's Purple Sprouting Broccoli . These will be ready to pick in the Spring . They just need a bit of tender loving care right now . 

We had quite a windy and rainy night and now the weeds will be easy to pull out .

Those are the thick plastic grow bags that I used to grow my tomatoes in .I'm going to put this spent compost around these PSB plants . It will give them a bit more stability during the winter storms and the gales that we get here . I can re-use these grow bags , they've been  great for me .Being so flexible and squishy meant I could squeeze in more tomato ,cucumber and pepper plants into the greenhouse .

I also had to get flexible and squishy to get inside this bed to weed it ! 


This old compost will also help to improve the earth . The worms will do the next bit , taking it deep down .


It is such a lovely sunny morning , but the sky is growing darker and more rain and gales coming  for about 11am . So I really had to force myself to crack on with it .


The two Courgette plants that I saved up the shed are growing in a couple of these bags .


So I,m going to fold them up and put them away in the shed , to use again next year .


Pulling off any yellowing leaves  and clearing away weeds , rubbishy stuff and slugs from around the base of the plants . Let in more light and fresh air .

No sign of any green , black or white flies thank-goodness . 


Ugh ...I really don't like yellowing brassica leaves !


I found a nice lot of curly kale that I'd forgotten about .


I got this bed covered up again . Pigeons can be a bit cheeky around here and they love brassicas !


Kernow Weather Team forecast rain at 11 am and bang on the dot the sky darkened .


I just had time to sort out the little problem in the onion bed .


Rabbits have been a nibbling ! Thankfully because I put these grids over the little onion sets , the rabbits have only nibbled as far as the grid . So I should be able to save them by putting a cloche over them .


I think I,ll have to fix up some chicken wire around this bed again  but I'm not doing it today .


Interestingly , they didn't nibble the garlic . Scared of the luminous lizard maybe !


Just time to get my pet carnivorous plant into the shed to over winter . This will be it's third winter . 


If I can get it through a fourth winter , then I might try planting it out into the garden .


                           O.k . Time for Elevenses !


                                ......... and the rain again ! 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment