Monday 26 December 2022

Good news . Bad news .

 

Boxing Day and up to watch the Sun rising .


We had got away for a few days fossil hunting in Dorset . We hadn't expected that cold weather to last as long as it did  .

I had a few precious plants covered and fleeced over , but I knew before we came home , that I would probably have a few loses .


I pulled out the last of the Courgettes . The low light levels had finished them off  . The spent compost , I threw onto the African Keyhole bed .

Coriander , Dill and Pak Choi , I think , will be fine .


O.K. So I'll give you the bad news first .  Yep ...my beautiful Red Ensete Ethiopian Bananas are looking really bad . 

    The reason for this is the man who built our new workshop and woodshed did not do the roof properly . Apart from it being four inches lower than the old shed roof and it is also leaking all over the place .  He is supposed to be coming back to fix it , but he is taking his time . So where it has leaked on the plants , they have frozen and then thawed .

I have always got these two huge plants through the winter just fine . They usually look a bit tatty but always recover .

I have never seen them looking so sad and I fear this time they will not recover . 

I,ve kept these two plants going for a few years now .

This makes me feel so unhappy .


The good news is that all of my Sweet Peas are germinating . 

                                 This makes me feel so happy !


Expertrees team came and coppiced some of our overgrown hedgerows for us  . They did an excellent job . 

They even cut me some nice Hazel bean poles , which will save me doing it ! 


So now our neighbours will also have a better view of the Sun-rise . A perfect Winter Solstice gift !

                                                   Everybody happy !


The wasps seem to have gone from the big old tree stump , so now I can dig up my potatoes , if they haven't rotted in the ground . I'm going to try growing potatoes in tubs next year .

I was worried that my Squirrel friends would not come back after such a drastic coppicing .


                                           "You talking about me ? "


      I topped up the feeding station with peanuts and ....I needn't have worried  !





4 comments:

  1. What a shame about the banana - will it grow again from the base if you cut out the dead. You did well to keep the courgettes going as long as you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sue ,I think I will prefer to just keep it dry and will keep my fingers crossed that it hasn't begun to rot in the stem . I might take them up to the other shed , especially if we get another freeze event . Yes it was interesting doing that with the courgettes ,since I did have the space to do it and I did get a few more fruits . Happy New Year 2023 to you both !

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't give up on the Ensete just yet as I've had them put shoots up from around the base even when the main stem has rotted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Rob ,🌿You have given me a little bit of hope , thankyou for that ! I won't give up on the poor ol' things just yet then . 🌿

      Delete