Thursday 17 June 2021

Musa ensete " Maurelii" - Time to plant out .


 No matter what I plan to do in the garden , there is always something else that I have to do first !

" I,m just going to plant out the banana plant ! " I called out to my husband " Get the kettle on ! I,ll be in in a minute !" Like all I had to do was dig a hole and drop in the banana plant .

Wrong !  I had to clear a whole lot of weeds first and mostly ... sigh ... Ivy ! 


                                                      All of this !


                                   From just this 2ft by 4ft space !


I like to do a proper job , so I pulled out this large tub which has the Jubaea chilensis in ...also known more commonly in the U.K. as the Chilean Wine Palm .

My husband was given permission to bring it back from Chile , we haven't planted it out yet to keep it small in it's tub .This can grow to be an absolutely huge beast of a palm ,it is a very special one , so we are still deciding where to plant it  .


                             So then that paving slab had to be pulled out .


                    More Ivy weeded out and slab and tub put back in place .


Only then could I begin to dig out the planting hole and the ground was rock hard .


I mixed some nice fresh compost in with the earth  and finally hauled the banana out  of it's plastic tub . It had been over-wintered in the woodshed  and over the last couple of months I have been dragging it out of the woodshed by day and back in at night to slowly acclimatise it  .


          So there we are ! One lovely Musa ensete " Maurelii " planted .


I hope it will be happy in this position . It should very quickly fill this space and look fabulous with its huge red leaves .

                                      Now I really need that cup of tea !



No comments:

Post a Comment