Friday 25 June 2021

Runnerbeans - second batch for harvest in November

 


Time to plant out my second batch of Runnerbean seedlings . I had been growing them from seed in the shed . I did give each one a stick to wind around and this usually works , but this bunch of Runners preferred to go anywhere but around their sticks . If I don't plant them out today , they are going to take over the shed !


This is the frame I put up the other day and  I planted some tall peas which are still just getting their roots down and settling in .


I thought I might plant the Runners on this same frame . I put the horrible green plastic netting on as I had run out of bamboo canes . Peas are quite happy to climb on this netting , but Runners prefer to wind up an 9ft cane or hazel pole .  I wasn't able to cut any Hazel rods this year due to having a bit of an injury .


                             Then look what I spied on the compost heap !


A bunch of old bamboo canes , a bit grotty but I  think they 'll do ! I think I had decided to put these onto the bonfire as they really were so grotty ! 


I pushed them in and tied them at the top and there were two left over to weave in as crossbars to make the frame even stronger  .


One by one and some pots had two in , I planted them out at each cane .


This old Lavander bush will have one more flowering before I take it out and replace with a  new one . It's lovely sweet scented flowers will attract the bees to pollinate my beans .


The frame on the right is where I planted the first batch of Runnerbeans . I will be planting some French beans in here too .


These are already beginning to flower . The second batch should give us Runnerbeans well into November . 
   So now we are off for our walk . Goonhilly Downs today and maybe pop into Trevena Cross Nursery on the way back . They are having a sale . Trays of plants for only £1.00  ! See you later !  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment