Saturday 26 December 2020

Epiphyllum Blattkakteen Epicactus "Lollipop" Steckling --- buds coming at Christmas !

 

I re-potted one of my Epiphyllums last week and accidentally left it on this South facing window . They generally prefer a North facing window .


I just thought it would be better  to leave it there while it's roots settled in to the fresh compost . Then I forgot about it . Not that we,ve had that much sunshine , but it  just shows what a little sunshine can do .


I bought this back in the Spring . A rooted cutting .A very generous rooted cutting.
 I didn't have much compost left and as we were going into the first lockdown ,I found it very difficult to buy compost as all the garden centres were closed . So I put it into a very small pot for the time being .
 Now I have put it into a much bigger pot and pushed a cage in around it , for support . Out in the greenhouse I leave them to scrabble all over the place . I just thought I might try out these cage supports for one or two of my more special plants . 


 Today I noticed a couple of buds , which is exciting . Not seen this in flower yet . I think the flowers are going to be orangey-red , smaller than the usual Epie flowers and the petals finer , more spidery . 
Most of  my Epies bloom from around early May , so this is very early !
I maybe have confused it by leaving it on the South facing windowsill .
There will be an update in a couple of weeks time .

I hope you are all having a nice relaxing Christmas and keeping yourselves safe .
   I can hear the wind picking up again outside and Storm Bella is coming in tonight and tomorrow . Take care everyone .


6 comments:

  1. At the moment our south facing windows are more like north facing ones. It’s hardly light little or no sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missing your blog writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw your kind message Ann ! I was waiting for this flower to open ! lol ! :)

      Delete
  3. I was hoping to bring you an update on this as my next entry , but the buds are really taking their time to open ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Update - it is 17th December 2021 and this has lots of buds on it again ! They will probably open in a couple of weeks time 💗 I will try and do an update with pictures very soon . I,m a bit busy with Christmas preparations at the moment . Back soon ! 🎅🏻

    ReplyDelete